DIRF book

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jbd

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Can anyone give a review of the DIR fundamentals book? How well does it cover Philosphy, Gear configuration and Techniques?

In your opinion is the book well worth having?

It's an informative book but if your already an accomplished diver then I wouldn't bother with it. It appears to me, they focus more on placing a negative impact on other agencies over safety. If you can get over that, they are a fine agency. But again, some of the skills are just fancy names for stuff you already now how to do. Good Luck.:doctor:

It is a fantastic book that helps you evaluate your skills, where you are, where you need to be and gets you started on the right track.

According to FATHOMDIVER's profile he's someone that's "Seen is [sic] all over the years and have heard it all." For someone who thinks he can't learn anything from anyone, I'm not surprised that he's unimpressed by the book.

For us mere mortals, however, it's an excellent book, don't hesitate to order it.

Roak

Just getting to know you roakey. Now I know. You should know better than try to change a codger. Can't change after 3 decades of success.

I've been diving 26 years and done 2700+ dives. I though I had it pretty well sussed. BUT I read "Fundamantals" a couple of years ago and had a long look at my kit afterwards. I now dive a long hose in open water for example. I dont agree with ALL they Command but some of it makes very good sense

Some is plain daft. For example they claim that theirs is the ONLY way to dive. Well for a start if they tried "cave" diving in England they'ed come pretty unstuck. "Cavern" diving their config may be good for, but for a 6 hour carry to dive in a 22 cm high passage it would be a joke. Long hose is a no-no for UK caves cos you dive solo (you cant physically fit a buddy in most sumps), also where are their helmets (oh they dont actually cave do they)

Get the book, read, learn and come to your own conclusions based on your circumstances. For example I use a few too many D rings and have 2 contents guages (one digital with beepers and one good old fashioned oil filled. Dont trust electrics but the display is much better than a standard SPG). I carry a dayglo hood, 2 reels, a red and yellow SMB, net cutters, a extending flag and 3 knifes (The surface is rough in the UK and I want the boat to find me). Having had to use a knife in earnest quite a few times, I laugh at the little thing GI carries. For big heavy trawler nets you need a good 10" job. I also carry and use a buddy line, we dont have US cave VIS in the UK waters. I also carry a small perspex tube filled with distilled water so I can read my guages in ZERO viz

DIR have some very very good ideas (although most were borrowed from others) but they are not the difinative method

It's OK - worth a read but if your instructor is any good it probably won't have any startling revelations.

I find it a little opinionated - but then he is trying to sell his equipment and persuade you to pay top dollar for his instruction.

Jonathan

Originally posted by Jonathan

I find it a little opinionated - but then he is trying to sell his equipment and persuade you to pay top dollar for his instruction.

Jonathan

Couldn't be further from the truth. Not ONCE during our DIRF class did any of the instructors mention Halcyon or EE as required or preferred equipment. Backplate/Wings yes, but no mention of brand. And every post I've read from previous classes say the same thing.

Also, $275.00 for 2 1/2 full days of the finest instruction/instructors is hardly top dollar in my book. In fact, I'll go out on the limb and call it cheap.

Originally posted by Jonathan
It's OK - worth a read but if your instructor is any good it probably won't have any startling revelations.

Jonathan
Specifically what equipment?

And as for top dollar for instruction, Tech 1 brings you through Nitrox, 100% O2, decompression procedures, Normoxic Trimix and gas mixing (both Nitrox and Trimix) in one class for about $650. That's four or five classes from IANTD or TDI, which will cost far more than $650.

GUE classes are an incredible value.

Roak

Well DIR has not made it to Japan yet (other than doing a little tour last year) so I only had the intro from the book to go where it mentions something about the instructors not being people who have other jobs and do diving as a hobby. I have not got the book in front of me so do not have the exact quote but to me that read we won't be as cheap as your LFDS.

Glad to hear it is not so. But then that is probably market forces, and not what he/they wishes...

I still stand by what I said though - nothing startling. Nothing that made me sit up and say - "that must be THE way to do it", but then I was already using a lot of it from well before I heard of that mob

Jonathan

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom