Dive Rite Air Bladder Question?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jonscubas

Contributor
Reaction score
I own the DIVE RITE Transpac II. When I first purchased the harness I also got it with the RecWings. I changed to Travel Wings because I was having trouble releasing air from my Recs, now that I have the travel's all my face down problems have also been solved, to include adding trim weight and positioning of my integrated weights on my built.

I was thinking that I should go back to the Recwings for the stability and future entry into Tech Diving, but my LDS said that he feels I should stay with the Travel's cause he reminded me of all of the problems with being faced down. I mentioned to him that I never tried the Recwings when I also added trim and repositioning of the weights. He still disagreed telling me that I would only be disappointed with going back to Recs and that I should stay with the Travel's since I am now "dialed in". I mentioned to him about going to doubles in the future, he told me that I would be able to use my Travel's with doubles too.

Funny thing though, when I read the Dive Right manual on line, it tells you that the travels are for single tanks only.

What are your opinions guys?

Travel wings with doubles? Not that I am aware of. If you want to get into doubles, the Travel Wings only have 30lbs of lift. Plus, the Doubles would sit right on the bladder. I would have to stronly discourage even trying to mount doubles to Travel Wings.

If you still have the Rec Wings, they will work just fine with a set of smaller steel doubles, such as 95's or with AL80 doubles. You could also look into the Classic Wings if you want to use a heavier double. The Classics are really the only one that I like, because they do not have the gusset control cord.

As for your face down problem, when you get into a set of doubles, that should go away. The wings are designed mainly for a double rig, and have the lift where needed most. With singles, they just don't work as well.

I would keep the Travel wing for your singles use, and get a wing specifically for doubles.

I have the TP II with the Rec Wing and I dive with a single HP 120. I never had a problem with releasing air or the face down problems, but I think it was just because I got use to it quick. Just remember to be slightly vertical and roll to your right to get the air out.

If you go to small doubles then you should go back to the Rec wing. If you're still diving a single stay with the Travel and enjoy.

Ty

Try the rec wings without having the tank position strap on, sometimes it will trap air because it cuts the two wings in half.

Msgmotor, how does the tank pos strap cut the top of the wing in half? On my TPII, the strap goes through the a slot cut below the bladder. Is this a question of old style TP vs new style?

Anyway, I dont think I would try doubles with the travel wings. Usually I dive a LP120 and I've never had a face down problem. Got a set of LP72's doubled up but never dove them. Buddy of mine dives his Rec Wings with a pair of LP112's without any problem as well as AL80's.

Good question Tx, I did'nt actually experience this myself. My brother had this problem. I'll have to go out the shed and drag both our bc's out and look at them. I never bothered to put mine on based on his experience but it might be possible that we're both to STUPID to figure out that we have our harnesses rigged wrong!!!! thanks I'll follow up with my findings tonight.

Ok I feel better I looked and there is no slot to pass the strap through:D But now I wonder why not that is a good idea and makes the strap usable. With the way it is now the strap is between the harness and wings, comes out the top and over the wings around the tank. Thats the point that cuts off the air. They are both TP 2's. About how old is you setup Tx?

Went to grab mine too. Right above the very top grommet to mount doubles, there is a slot about 2" long and that is where my strap slides through. I dont know if it makes a difference, but I have the Dual Rec wings. My TP is fairly new, maybe a year old. Friend of mine (Cavediver) has had his for a few years now. His is the older style with the seperate lumbar pads and regular tank cam bands. Mine is the later one with the one piece back and the PITA steel tank bands.

Dont know if the Rec and Dual Rec are different in that respect but they might be. Although I dont know why they would be.

Originally posted by TxDeepDiver
Went to grab mine too. Right above the very top grommet to mount doubles, there is a slot about 2" long and that is where my strap slides through. I dont know if it makes a difference, but I have the Dual Rec wings. My TP is fairly new, maybe a year old. Friend of mine (Cavediver) has had his for a few years now. His is the older style with the seperate lumbar pads and regular tank cam bands. Mine is the later one with the one piece back and the PITA steel tank bands.

Dont know if the Rec and Dual Rec are different in that respect but they might be. Although I dont know why they would be.

I have the TP II with the Rec wing and mine has a slot in the same place. I bought it about 8 months ago too.

Ty

Back
Top Bottom