Michigan Underwater Preserves

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mr_jmac

Registered
Reaction score
Hey all,

Need some advice from the Michigan divers. I live in Sault Ste. Marie Ontario and want to get away for a few days to do some diving in Michigan. We will be camping.

Here is the thing: we don't have a boat and are interested in SHORE DIVES ONLY. I searched the net and the only place that mentions shore dives specifically is the Keweenaw Underwater Preserve (copper harbor).

Does anyone have info on the following:

Keweenaw Underwater Preserve
Marquette County Underwater Preserve
Alger Underwater Preserve
Manitou Passage Underwater Preserve
Thunder Bay Underwater Preserve

Thanks for any opinions ...

Joe

Well, Joe. There just ain't many shore dives I know of.
Alger has a shore dive on what I think is the old city pier. Just did that dive Sunday. It's diving amongst the pilings. Max depth of 16 feet (that's all I've found). Not hugely exciting, just a laid-back dive.

I know of no shore dive in the Thunder Bay preserve.

Straits Preserve (which you didn't request) also has one known shore dive, the old city pier (again). Haven't done it, so can't say anything about it's quality (or lack of same).

Sorry for the bad news. Might direct a request to Lost Yooper. He's a Marquette guy and should be able to answer for Marquette and Keweenaw, at least.

There is also the C. H. Johnson as a shore dive option up at the Straits. You have to go West on US 2 about three miles to Gros Cap RD. Turn Left and follow down to the shore. It is in about 20ft of water. The wreck is obviously broken up but the cargo of giant sand stone blocks that were heading to Chicago to be used in the construction of a bank are there with the dates stamped in them.

Jeff

Back
Top Bottom