BP / wing: how to configure?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DaveO

Contributor
Reaction score
I want to make an informed decision about equipment before I buy it, and on the strength of numerous threads in this forum I'm considering BP/wing.

I plan to dive recreationally at first, and pursue more advanced topics later.

What is the basic configuration for BP/wing? Based on the reading I've done, it is:
* backplate
* harness
* wing
* STA

Is this correct? To what extent can I mix-and-match manufacturers- for instance, if I get a FredT backplate and a Halcyon 27# wing, who provides the harness and STA?

Thoughts and comments appreciated! Thanks.

Backplates, wings, harness, and STA's from almost any manufacturer should work together. Dive Rite, Halcyon, OMS, FredT, all of these work together. If you get the new halcyon Pioneer wing, you will not need an STA.

For the harness, you can simply rig your own. No need to buy one. You can buy the webbing and simply thred it yourself. It is VERY easy to do.

Here is a picture of how to rig it properly.

http://www.gue.com/equipment/backplate6.html

Just to expand on JamesK's statement about the new Halcyon Pioneer wings not needing an STA - if you decide not to use an STA with this wing, make sure your backplate has the compatible slots for the tank cam straps to pass through. Both FredT and Halcyon backplates have these. They are two pairs of vertical slots on the ridge of the backplate.

The reason most backplate/wing components are compatible is that there is an almost industry standard spacing of 11 inches for the center holes on the backplate and wings. You can mix and match to your hearts content.

If your bp doesn't have the slots for the tank cam straps to pass thru, you can still use the Halcyon 27# wing with a STA. That's what I did since my Dive Rite bp didn't have the slots (I already owned a STA, so it wasn't a big deal).

I agree,
But I went with the SS STA after I heard that some folks didn't like the NEW Halcyon way to mount the single tank - so I chose the old way and use my STA - and am very happy with it - plus, I got an additional 2# of weight off my waist.

I purchased an aluminum backplate and harness off eBay for much less then any name brand and it's almost identical to them. I've been diving with it for nearly a year both with my doubles and S/S STA using the Dive Rite Superwing for the doubles and Trek wing for the single tank. Both work great but the back plate is a little light with only the single, I need an extra pound or two in shallow water.

Check out this link, this is the BP I purchased. It's available in S/S as well.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1844995264

Scott

Gary on Ebay.. makes a nice S/S backplate also. I had him craft me one of 3/16" S/S instead of 1/8". That made my BP heavier. He deburrs the whole BP as well.

He also added slots to the BP so that I could forgoe the STA with the new Halcyon wings. I decided to use an STA anyway... for the added weight.

And I was skeptical about installing my new harness (Gary did this for me as well, and uses very good s/s hardware). But after I received my pre-harnessed BP, I could see how easy it really would be to do it oneself. Especially now that there are many links to sites that show in detail the step by step on how it is done.

Originally posted by cybordolphin
Gary on Ebay.. makes a nice S/S backplate also. I had him craft me one of 3/16" S/S instead of 1/8". That made my BP heavier. He deburrs the whole BP as well.

Cybordolphin,

Gary does do great work on the backplates, and the STA's. I've purchased one of each for him off eBay, high quality stuff.:)

Scott

Hi,
I'd go the 3/16" SS instead of 1/8".

Also, I'd find out it it 304 SS or 316 SS. Fred T's backplates are 316 SS, I believe. Better for salt water corrosion than 304.

I have 1/8" Koplin plate, but wish mine was 3/16".

I opted to use the STA as well for additional weight. Next time I'd go one of Koplin's weighted STA's at 5.5 - 6.2#. There's another 6# off your waist!

For his weighted STA's, see:

http://www.selchie.com/sta.htm

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom