Spiegle Grove rumor.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubakevdm

ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I had heard from a number of people that the max depth of the upright Grove is now 95 feet. I just got back from it, and I'd like everyone to know before they jam their tanks full of 36 that this is simply just not the case. The deck is at about 95'. It figures. I shot down there with Manateenao, Alamoazhino and Zman. We had the Grove in her entirety to ourselves with a trickle of current and near flat seas and could only hit the tip of the iceberg due to our too hot mixes. We were scheduled to do back to back dives there, but ended up going to French for the second one.
Don't let this happen to you. Max depth is usually 130, but you can find 140 if you look hard. 30% is a much better choice.
We went with Scuba-do, by the way. I highly recommend them, they have a knack for putting me on diverless wrecks out there.

No compressor on the boat to thin out the mix? I would have dumped half a tank for the second dive if I could have.

I hit 130 even in the sand on her starboard near the bow in October.

PerroneFord:
No compressor on the boat to thin out the mix? I would have dumped half a tank for the second dive if I could have.
These ain't no live-aboards, ya know.

I dove the upright Spiegel Grove and hit 130 fsw at the sand. Best open circuit nitrox mix (for MOD 1.4) would be EAN 28. PO2/[(Depth/33) + 1] = 1.4/[(130/33) + 1] = 0.28

Of course, I dove it with my Sport Kiss CCR -- gotta love rebreathers!

How was the Speigel now that it is upright. I dove it when it was on it's side, but I have not had the priviledge of diving it upright.

The guy that told me max depth was 95 said that he read it in the Florida Scuba News. I feel that the publication should step up to the plate and make us whole again. Perhaps a jaunt through the 'Nesia's would make me feel right.

murphdivers286:
How was the Speigel now that it is upright.
I wish I could answer that statement for you man. I can tell you this much... the deck is much more horizontal. Anyway, it's pretty different than it was.
I'm probably aiming at the Duane the next time I go down there, instead of another Speigle. I really like the Duane.

Hey Kev! Who let you out? What are you doing in the Keys? Who's working on Splashdown? Actually, I'm glad to see you get out of the shop and onto someone else's boat for a change. Enjoy!

Scubakevdm:
I'm probably aiming at the Duane the next time I go down there, instead of another Speigle. I really like the Duane.

Hey Kevin,
Road trip? Im down next month ?
Brad

Scubakevdm I woukld assume the screws are more like 120 feet, now that ithe ship is more upright? Correct?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom