Diving Egypt in February?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ozymandias_kok

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
We are looking at taking an Egypt trip in February 06 and I like to sneak in a few dives wherever I can. I guess Sharm is still kind of on the tourist trail as St. Catherines and the Sinai are not too far from there? That would make it more convenient, though I'm not necessarily focussing on in, or excluding other locations. Are any sites better or worse that time of year? Is it going to be crowded season or low season? What kind of water temps should I expect then? What and who should we avoid?

It isn't going to be the height of the season, so nowhere should be crowded. Yes, Sharm – or rather Na'ama Bay – is the touristy bit, but the diving available from there, such as the Tiran reefs or Ras Mohammed, are simply world-class.

You could always look at Hurghada as well, this is the gateway to sites such as the Abu Nuhas Reef system and its wrecks, but it isn't as commercially developed as Na'ama, so not as many shops, bars, restaurants, etc.

I'd go for Na'ama, as you will get a cheap deal at that time of year and the diving is top. You will want a 5mm, though, as the water temps aren't going to be that warm, and make sure you have a sweatshirt for on board the boat when you come out of the water – the wind chill can be a killer.

Have fun – I've dived all over the world and the Red Sea is still tops for me.

Mark

Drysuit? That seems excessive. I was fine with a 5mm full on a recent dive in 24-25C water, and ditto for a 22-23C in a 6mm full with hood -- which took some getting used to, let me tell you. It took me a bit to figure out why anytime I cleared my mask I started heading for the surface. :wink: I'm more of a 3mm shorty guy, but I'm learning about water in the rest of the world now, too...

Do yall have any preferred operators in Dahab and Sharm?

Thanks for the advice, btw!

Red Sea Diving College, Ocean College, Camel Dive and Emperor Divers in Na'ama are all professional outfits, and Poseidon Divers in Dahab know their stuff as well.

I am actually going to be in Na'ama Bay from 16-23 February, so might see you then for a Sakara Gold and an apple shisha pipe in the Camel Bar!

You should be fine with a 5mm full suit, and maybe a hood if your head gets cold.

Mark

Well
I would take a dru suit - 5mm definitely is not enough.
Feb is not a good month to go as it's the coldest month. I'm not kidding - I remember waking up at 4 am and the desert mountains were covered with snow. All my friends who live there are wearing real winter coats in the evening because the temp drops down to 15 Centigrades.
March, April are better than Feb.
Mania

It depends on what you are used to. I dive in the UK in my drysuit all year round, but I've dived Egypt in virtually every month at one time or another over the past eight years and while I use a 3mm fullsuit in the summer months, I have never been cold in a 5mm in the winter. Yes, it is colder, but I find I suffer most on the surface, on the boat, on exiting the water rather than while I am in there.

I was diving in Malta early this year and the water temperature was 14-15°C. The guides were in dry bags, but I had a 3mm fullsuit on with a 5mm shortie on the top and I was warm as toast.

If you are susceptable to the cold, then go thicker, but I still think a 5mm should be sufficient, 7mm at the absolute most. And while Feb might be considered a cold month, it is all relative – and you sometimes get some fab sights on the walls at this time of the year.

Mark

My contacts in Sharm inform me the weather is unusually balmy for the time of year. The water temperature is around 24 degrees C, so a 5 or 7mm wetsuit should suffice. But truth be said, some Red Sea guides wear drysuits in winter.

Wussies. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom