way doubles? for most that is to much [yes]

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Skeeter1097

Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I hear a lot of divers asking about dubbles. I don't see to many using them. I think that 70 to 90 lbs is a lot to have on most backs. Are there that many divers that youse them.

Yes. Thousands of divers use them. Where do you dive? If you just dive on the shallow reefs there in WPB, you won't see many dives use them. If you head out to the wrecks at 200ft or head to the caves and you'll see PLENTY.

Hey , even us ladies dive doubles !!! :D :D :D :D
(for Caverns and caves , of course)
LP 85's ... Fabers ... Not bad at all ...

Jeano Beano

For the type of diving I do doubles would not make much sense. However many of the SB Fl CD dive caves and Tech depth wrecks and NEED them. The deepest stuff I do is South Florida wrecks which normally are just barely over 100'.

ALthough Jeano has some pretty fly mini doubles that look cool.

Orlando Eric:
For the type of diving I do doubles would not make much sense. However many of the SB Fl CD dive caves and Tech depth wrecks and NEED them. The deepest stuff I do is South Florida wrecks which normally are just barely over 100'.

ALthough Jeano has some pretty fly mini doubles that look cool.

Ah yes , my double 50's. I intent to hang onto those little guys. They are neat and lightweight.
I would definately agree with you...The Tech Wrecks need/use doubles too. They dive a lot deeper than we do and are probably using Tri-mix on a regular basis. (My hats off to them all...They do things I can only dream of doing)

Jeano Beano

Skeeter1097:
I hear a lot of divers asking about dubbles. I don't see to many using them. I think that 70 to 90 lbs is a lot to have on most backs. Are there that many divers that youse them.
It is a lot to have on most backs, but they weigh nothing in the water. Doubles are neccesary for many types of diving, although I think rebreathers will replace them eventually. I have a set of Faber 95s, thermo valves and manifold.

I use doubles and I think they are much better for any type of diving because they do provide redundancy which single tank does not.
Mania
PS. But they are heavy - that's true. I use steel 80 cf

jviehe:
It is a lot to have on most backs, but they weigh nothing in the water.
Yeah... I wouldn't recommend jogging in doubles, but when you're underwater, you'd hardly know they were there. The weight's only a problem if you wear them when not diving, which seems to me like a strange thing to do unless you're walking to the edge of the boat.

jviehe:
It is a lot to have on most backs, but they weigh nothing in the water. Doubles are neccesary for many types of diving, although I think rebreathers will replace them eventually. I have a set of Faber 95s, thermo valves and manifold.

Jon,

I don't know about the rebreathers overtaking. At least not for a LONG time. They certainly have their merits, but I think even the most staunch CCR guys would admit they are not as foolproof as OC doubles. Personally, I think we will see the carbon Fiber, VERY high PSI double tanks become a factor. They are expensive, but still a LOT cheaper than rebreathers. For those not interested in Helium, they might make sense. The weight for the equivalent of twin 130s is somewhere in the vacinity of a single AL80 or less. I haven't had a chance to dive one (obviously), but have had one in my hands. It's very impressive.

http://www.airhog.com/tanksets.htm

http://www.straightshooters.com/pcpitems/cfairtank.html

http://www.empirepaintball.com/empire06/fuel.asp

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom