Dredging to start at the Destin Jetties

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SeaYoda

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
According to the Daily News, dredging to renourish 7 miles of beaches to the East of the pass will begin in late January. It will be a 24/7 operation with only slight breaks to allow sturgeon to migrate. The completion date is set at May 19th.

This may put a damper on early Spring dives - just what we need after last years weather problems. Can you say "Road-Trip"? :D

so... stupid question here....

does that mean that will complete cut off diving the east side ?
I'm assuming they'll be dredging back and forth. so it might
be hit and miss on which side of the channel they are on...

Also... what do they do with the sand they are dredging?
do they pump it onto the beach in that area? put it on
a barge? or what?

I'm guessing that they will allow diving unless they are working right next to the normal diving area. They have had dredges in the pass before and I've been allowed to dive. It will be hit and miss but they will probably stir things up pretty good with all that traffic - no matter where in the pass they will be sucking the sand from. This sounds more intense than other "regular" dredgings. On the "regular" maintenance dredgings they don't operate all day every day - this sounds like they will be in high gear from day one and not let up in order to beat tourist season. The heavy amount of sand collected around the finger jetty looks like a pretty good supply to take from so I would think they will be in that direct area at some point and close off use until they move on.

They pump out the sand and barge it to where it will be dumped. They say that they will start dumping on the east end first. I believe they are starting with a small dredge and then moving up to a bigger one when it becomes available.

dumping on the east end first? I know the east side of the jetty, but where exactly are you talking about them dumping?

they don't take it out to sea to dump or use it for beach replenishment?

They are going 7 miles East of the pass and dumping it on the eroded beaches of South Walton and Okaloosa counties to renourish them. I don't think the 7 miles ends too close to Holiday island because there is already too much sand there.

OK Mat. Is it about time I brought down your boat? Actually, I am going to go check on a potential 'deal'. Seems this guy purchased a 3 axle trailer with a boat attached. He really only wanted the trailer, but ended up with another trailer for another trade. Bottom line now he has this boat and trailer that he might be wanting to part with for $5k. Seems this boat mounts twin 275 hp outboards and is deep hulled for sea operations. Seeing the gun mounts are still on the boat, the story is these boats were used during our invasion of Grenada. No promises, but if I pick these beauties up, you got a place down there where I can store it for free?
Howard

If the guns are still mounted, you can probably park it any damned place you'd want :D

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom