Niagra Falls -Should I leave my gear home?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gr8lakesdiver

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I have Cris Kohls book and it shows sherston quaryy and a number of others in Ontario. We are taking a trip to Niagra. Whould we take our stuff? We are experienced divers that dive Huron, Erie and the Ohio Quarrys almost every weekend.:wink:

Don't think I'd dive above the falls :eek: Bet it's a rippin current :D
Heard that there is good river dives in Fort Erie but never tryed it.
About 10 years ago my wife and I pulled a diver out of the lower rapids. We were down there hiking and heard him calling for help he was banged up pretty bad, the current pulled him down and played pinball with him on the rocks. So.... I don't dive there.
By the way: He was diving alone, but had a buddy on shore with a rope "just in case he needed it" buddy showed up about 5 min. later... couldn't run fast enough to keep up.

.....I heard that Sherkston quarry is closed to divers. Something about the water source being contaminated.

I hear that it's a great drift dive entering the Niagara River at Isleview marina and getting out about 1/2 hour downstream, Our LDS does this often (it's a long way to the falls,no worries)(no, I haven't done this one yet).

Also there are some shallow wrecks in eastern lake Erie.

Hope this helps,

skip the quary but try the river (above the falls) it is fun and if you have good current skills you will be fine, dont go deeper then twenty feet or you could get into trouble. also the chipawa creek is fun.

cheers

The following web site list a number of dives in the Niagara area. I've heard of the Chippewa Creek dive from a number of people.

http://www.leftmind.net/~adb/ontdive/shoredive.html

I would disagree with the advice about not diving above the falls. The current below the falls is unbelievable and this is where it's not safe. It continues for miles downstream at speeds which are unsafe even for most boats. The only ones that go there are large 4-engined jet boats. I go fishing 6 km downstream from the falls, below the whirlpool, and there are huge standing waves there. I would think that it would not get safe till well downstream from Queenston, closer to Niagara on the Lake.

Just got back to town, so only read this now. If you check in, you gatta do the drift diving above the falls. I love it. But go with those experienced with it. DSAO

If you have a smaller boat, you can put in at the North Tonawanda boat launch for some great drift diving. Just head up about 1/2 mile to where the river bends around almost to the road and drop in beside the main channel bouys. Be sure to take a dive flag, so your boat can follow you and pick you up when you're done with your dive. If your air consumption is good you can go clear to the Grand Island bridge and beyond. Average depth is 20'-35'. There's lots of old (and new) bottles and scads of fish...Smallmouth Bass, Sheepshead, Walleye, an occasional Sturgeon, and Muskie (seen as many as 9 in one drift before). There are stronger current areas, but unless you have considerable experience with fast water, better wait on them. This makes a Great 2 tank day for 4-6 divers.

I dive the Upper Niagara river and Chippawa creek all the time. Its a staple dive around here. For a nice leisurly drift dive you can enter the upper niagara river at the foot of Jarvis St. in Fort Erie. There is a big parking lot there next to the railroad bridge.
A giant stride entry works great.. You can drift down to Frenchmans creek in about 35-47 minutes. There is a small parkiung lot along the niagara parkway by frenchmans creek. That's our usual exit point. The added benefit is that there is an old barge from 1812 about 40ft from shore in 20 ft of water.
Current goes from mild to fun :) Depth is from 15-25 ft deep, depending how far you go out in the river. Stay on the bottom and bring a float to avoid the local pleasure boats...
The water is usually warm, and you only need gloves to fend of sharp zebra mussels. I found the gardening gloves work great, and they are cheaper to replace than dive gloves..
There you go..my 2 cents worth..

:jester:

Back
Top Bottom