St. Petersburg Dive Report--3 Dec 05

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JonAustin

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Diving in St. Petersburg! Whoot!! The dive operator recommended that I do an inland, freshwater dive, but I wanted to check out my buoyancy on some new gear before heading to Mexico, next year.

First off, I went with Narcosis Scuba out of Tarpon Springs. Maybe it's because I'm used to going with operators in developing countries, but I was VERY impressed with their professionalism and service. Everything was on time and right where I wanted it.

Now, the dive. Our divemaster, who was trying-out some new gear of his own, had a hard time setting the anchor at our first site, Veteran's Reef, due to a very strong current at the surface. Going down the anchorline was a bit of a chore. When we got to the bottom, I had breathed-off 1/3 of my air already. At the bottom was a series of 3 barges that had been sunk to create an artificial reef.

Unfortunately, as most of the folks on this sub-group will know, there had been a red tide for over 6 months, so most of the sponges and animals were missing.

I saw some spade fishes, groupers, and some drum.

The second dive, at Masthead Ledge, was more of the same--strong current at the surface, diminishing significantly at depth.

This dive was along a rock shelf. Didn't see much, other than a grouper.

Water temperature was 66 degrees F. Visibility was 4m. I used a 3+3mm wetsuit, no hood. I was a little chilly, but nothing too uncomfortable.

I stayed at the Belleview Biltmore Hotel Golf, Beach and Spa Resort in Clearwater, FL. It was a very cool old hotel, with beautiful grounds. Good service, good food, comfortable rooms. Apparently, it was recently bought and the new owners were in the process of beginning major rennovations. I'd highly recommend that place, especially when the rennovations are completed.

Thanks for posting the report! I've heard good things about Narcosis, but have yet to dive with them.

Oh, I need to get my fins wet...

No worries! It was a good time--especially since all I'd been doing was mud diving for the past few months.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom