Wing Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

erich

Contributor
Reaction score
I have a Dive Rite Alum BP and am in the market for a wing. I am currently only diving singles but might eventually do doubles. I know I will need an STA and will probably get a Fred T two piece. Are my options wide open for wing manufactures? Options would be Dive Rite, Halycon, and OMS. Will all of these fit my DR plate? What size wing will work for singles and be expandable for doubles?
Thanks for your help.

Wings are interchangeable.I'd suggest 25 to 35 for singles and 55 or better for doubles.I love my Halcyon,I like my D-R/Sea-Elite,hate Zeagle and am un-impressed with OMS wings altho I love my OMS STA.Using a big wing with singles meant for doubles is not a good idea unless there is an overbearing need for extra lift .I use my Zeagle wing (even tho it Sucks) when diving blackwater for fossils due to wearing 30 lbs of lead to hold me flat in 2-3 kt current.

100 days,

I als have a Ranger that I am trying to replace. Are you saying that you can use your Zeagle wing with a backplate? How did you adapt this? Is there a sturdy Dive Rite wing with 40-45 lb lift that can be used with singles and doubles?

Erich,
I like my Halycon wings and I prefer my STA to be one pc, not 2. I ESPECIALLY like Scott Koplins weighted STA - by using that I can get another 4# off your belt. I have a Halcyon STA now, bu I'd go the Koplin next time.

Rumor has it that the BEST way is to use a single wing (for Halcyon thats the Pioneer wing) for single tanks and a bigger wing (Explorer for Halcyon) for twins.

Most guys dive a 27 or 36# wing for singles - some a 45#. I have a 45# as I didn't think the extra life would hurt me. Based on another posting I saw today on this board by another diver who has a 45# wing also - he isn't experiencing any problems from have a 45# instead of a 36# wing.

Most wings for twins are like 55# and bigger up to 100# lift.

I have heard of some guys using wings meant for doubles with a single Al80 tank. Some OMS guys do this and use something called a 'Spreader Plate' to keep the larger wings from 'flapping' around being they were meant for twins and not a single AL80. I personally don't know much about that - but I have read postings from others on it here also - Pro's and Con's.

Dive Rite makes good wings too, I hear. I hear both good and bad on OMS gear. Like anyhting, EACH brand will have its local patriots, just like Ford and Chevy owners! YOU choose!

I hear that Halcyon wings are built with better and stronger Cordura. I don't know myself. I DO know that Halcyon makes their inflator hose the proper length so its not hanging down to your waist. But, one could shorten the OMS corragated hose if they wanted.

Good luck!

Originally posted by erich
I have a Dive Rite Alum BP and am in the market for a wing. I am currently only diving singles but might eventually do doubles. I know I will need an STA and will probably get a Fred T two piece. Are my options wide open for wing manufactures? Options would be Dive Rite, Halycon, and OMS. Will all of these fit my DR plate? What size wing will work for singles and be expandable for doubles?
Thanks for your help.

All BP manufacturers are making their BP's with 11" bolt centers - and as far as I know, ALL major wings will fit all the BP's. And vice versa.

Wing manufacturers would be Dive Rite, OMS, Halcyon and I think even the new Matrix wings are the same as well.

BP manufacturers would be Koplin, Fred T, Halcyon, OMS and Dive Rite. They can be either alum, brass or 304 or 316 SS. Most use SS or alum.

Halcyon, Koplin, OMS and Fred T makes STA's. I don't know about Dive Rite. They might too. STA's can be 1 pc or a 2 pc variety.

Mix ingredients and you have a kick butt system going..

Hope this helps..

Don't overlook the Northern Diver X-wing. It's very competitivly priced and available on line from Bob3 on this board or CC on the Diverlink board. Construction looks quite good for a bladder in a bag wing and it fits a single tank quite well with my backplate and STAs simply by adding a couple holes to the center web. It probably fits other plates and STA's as well, but I haven't tried to assemble those combinations. At less than half the $s of a comparable ~40# lift rated Halcyon wing it's worth a look at any rate.

For those who want an extra heavy STA I have worked out a way to weight my heavy STA. If anyone has a use for a weighted 2-piece STA please let me know. The same method of adding the weight is applicable, but I have not figured out a condition where the heavy or weighted heavy STA would not work simpler or better than a weighted 2 piece.

Hmm,
Didn't know anyone else was amking wings...

Who? Never heard of AUL?

I dive the Dive-Rite Travel wing (30 pounds lift) with singles, the Rec wing (51 pounds lift) with doubles.
If I were buying my first wing, and needed to dive doubles right away, I'd get the Rec wings first - they use a "half" bungee system to help minimize wrap-around on a single tank, so they're not quite as bad as a standard wing with one-sided air trapping. However, if there's any way you can afford to do it, I recommend you get the Travel wings for singles (with it's "donut" air bladder it all but totally eliminates air trapping) and either the Rec or Classic wing for doubles (Classic is without bungees).
Rick

Back
Top Bottom