Still more Red Tide... and a cure?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ReefGuy

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
http://www.sun-herald.com/NewsArchive2/122705/tp6np9.htm?date=122705&story=tp6np9.htm

Demonstration indicates red tide cure

Red tide is back already, after a brief disruption called Hurricane Wilma.

A new Karenia brevis red tide bloom along the coast of southwest Florida extends from southern Pinellas to northern Sarasota counties, according to the Fish and Wildlife Research Institute.

Nearshore concentrations ranged from very low to low. One sample in Sarasota Bay from early last week, at New Pass where Mote Marine Laboratory is located, was medium. It's enough to kill fish.

So it was with renewed interest that Venice High's science teacher Charlie Powell gave a demonstration of local inventor Bob Rigby's red tide cure to area officials and activists last week.

Powell described the test process by which he proved the solution that kills Karenia brevis, the dinoflagellate that causes red tide, actually works, and explained why certain types of fish were used to test the formula.

The purpose of the demonstration was to dispel misinformation -- even disbelief -- about a cure.

"I wanted to let officials witness firsthand how it kills red tide without harming other marine life," Rigby said.

Sitting at somewhat cramped school desks for part of the demonstration were Sarasota County Commissioner Jon Thaxton; Charlotte County Commissioner Tom Moore; Chairman of the Marine Advisory Council for Charlotte County, Mel Staudmyer; a representative for Sarasota City Commissioner Louann Palmer; staffer Christina Knight from Sen. Mel Martinez' office; realtor Judith Hamilton; and Richard Leydon and Lisa Leydon-Surdam, a father-daughter team from Little Gasparilla who run Red Tide Alert, a local organization that tracks red tide and efforts to mitigate its impact.

Each took turns examining Karenia brevis extracted from a beaker under an electron microscope. They also looked at hundreds of healthy mysids (shrimp-like crustaceans) in a separate small aquarium.

The mysids are almost transparent and barely visible to the naked eye -- about 3/32nds of an inch. They are the proverbial canary in a coal mine, said Powell -- the organisms die easily when exposed to red tide. That's why they are EPA-approved for this kind of testing, he said.

Mysids are so fragile that Powell used a small beaker to extract them because using a small fish net would kill them.

He then drained most of the water from the beaker containing mysids and emptied it into the beaker containing Karenia brevis. Normally, red tide in this amount, about 100,000 per million, would kill the mysids in short order, said Powell. He then added 12 parts per million of Rigby's formula that kills red tide.

Within minutes, Powell took another sample of water from the beaker. Each official took turns looking into the microscope again, this time witnessing the dead red tide organisms extracted from the same beaker containing live mysids.

No hooey

Rigby is hoping the demonstration will dispel some of the misinformation he claims has been disseminated.

"Some people still think this is a bunch of hooey," he said. "They were all satisfied about the claim that this is a viable formula that kills red tide without harming other marine life."

Others at the demonstration questioned the relationship -- or lack of one -- between Mote Marine, the leading red tide research marine laboratory, and Rigby, specifically why they are unable to collaborate on a solution.

Some had questions about the source of red tide, especially as it relates to stormwater runoff and agricultural activity.

Powell closed his remarks by saying more research was necessary to confirm Venice High's research and move forward.

Rigby said once he receives funding, it will take only two years to finish designing and then build the apparatus to disperse the red tide killer solution into ocean waters.

Private interests

Richard Leydon, a retired developer from Little Gasparilla Island, used to live on the beach until he developed chronic respiratory problems he attributes to red tide. He attended the demonstration on behalf of a private interest "who has the will, power and money" to commit to finding a solution.

"The private interest would prefer to remain in the background at this time," said Leydon, and "move forward at an appropriate time. There is quantum interest out there to find a cure for red tide."

Leydon blames big dollars and red tape for impeding efforts to find a solution. He shares Rigby's theory about a conspiracy to stall a solution for red tide.

"Mote Marine has denigrated this man," he said, referring to Rigby. "They are receiving millions for doing almost nothing. Who stands to benefit from not coming forward with a solution? Fifty million is a lot of money. (Research) has evolved into a bureaucracy itself. It feeds itself with grants. In the meantime, don't tell me there is a solution here. It's a full-blown disgrace.

"I've encouraged Mr. Rigby to keep pursuing his efforts in the face of adversity of big government and researchers who appear more interested in staffing up than solving the problem. If I were a politician, I'd latch onto this in a heartbeat, because who are your opponents? Everyone wants to find a cure, for economic and physical reasons.

"Mote is trying to get millions in grants to address red tide, and here is this gentleman who spent $4,000 to come up with a solution. It's rather indicative of the structure we live in ... that it has to be done out of a garage and not as a result of millions in government grants. That's how personal computers developed.

"Wednesday's demonstration showed the efficacy of Mr. Rigby's formula on eradicating a bloom. I am adamant about seeing this gentleman gets some money to move forward. It's a question of sitting down and funding the program. Maybe we can get something done out of the private sector," Leydon said.

Government role

What's the next step for the Sarasota Board of County Commissioners?

"I am trying to figure that out myself," said Thaxton. "I would love for somebody to come to me with suggestions. There is not a clear answer to that yet."

"I'm not an expert in product development, and clearly that's what Mr. Rigby wants. I know he is only trying to protect his proprietary rights, but that's not the county's gig. To be realistic about it, it's a rigorous process -- additional testing is needed from independent groups to confirm the original thesis, and then go through state agencies to permit testing in the gulf.

Thaxton said unanswered research questions contribute to the confusion and lack of direction in seeking a solution.

"Right now they have no proof that red tide today -- meaning the intensiveness, duration and frequency of outbreaks -- is being affected by human activity. The assumption is that's the case. If that's so, my first inclination is to work toward removing nutrients that generally are known to contribute to algae blooms. It's a no-miss strategy."

"But we do not want to eliminate red tide. It's a natural phenomena. The organism has a critical place in the marine ecosystem. You can't just take it out. Every time we do, the consequences are more damaging than the cure.

"What is the natural role of Karenia brevis and how do we keep it natural? If we are causing (blooms), it is legitimate to bring it back to its original state.

Thaxton said the demonstration answered a couple of his concerns.

"The demonstration was convincing. It did test the level of solution that is optimal for killing the organism. And it tested against other vulnerable organisms. Its effect on other algae, however, wasn't answered. Does it only effect dinoflagella, or only red and brown algae, or all algae? Where does it stop? How specific is it at eradicating organisms? Powell said it is not species specific, so could it kill other algae?

"Some by-kill is acceptable. You can afford to kill some other species in a very small area, but not on a larger scale. That's why I am confident of spending money on current research efforts by Mote to predict and isolate blooms.

"The first thing we need to do is early detection. (Red tide) only seems to start in exacting water conditions, all the more reason why we need to predict where it's going to first break.

Only then would application of a cure like Rigby's become viable, he said.

Red tides are harmful algal blooms that occur when toxic, microscopic algae in seawater proliferate to higher-than-normal concentrations (bloom), often discoloring the water red, brown, green or yellow, according to the Fish and Wildlife Research Institute.

More than 40 species of toxic microalgae live in the Gulf of Mexico. The most common is the dinoflagellate Karenia brevis, the Florida red tide organism.

To learn more about red tide, visit floridamarine.org

You can e-mail Greg Giles at: ggiles@venicegondolier.com.

By GREG GILES

Staff Writer

OK.. now, this 'cures' red tide, but what does it do to disperse the high nitrogen levels in the water which created the red tide to begin with. This is such a waste of time to even consider using as it only treats the symptom not the cause. :)

added note: I couldn't help myself, I wrote the journalist who wrote the article, if anyone is interested I'll share it. :)

Actually, to me the interesting point of the article is the fact that this cure was developed privately for next to nothing financially. That and the fact that MOTE has spent years and millions studying the problem without even this much of a solution.

Is MOTE really concerned with solving this issue? Or are they more concerned with protecting their research dollars? This is the second time recently that I have had cause to question MOTE's dedication to the environment. They were also involved with appointing a convcted felon (for harvesting undersize grouper) to study the effects of longlining on the gulf.

That being said, I'd better shut my mouth. The Boca Grande pass cleanup is coming up shortly. :)

MOTE is actually looking more at the root cause and not treatment of the problem. When your nose is runny you grab a tissue and blow it.. that helps with it running down your face temporarily, but if the reason is because you've got something irritating your sinuses, then something else will have to be done to provide relief.

MOTE is in a unique situation in that they and University of Miami (whom they are doing research with) are private institutions. Its already been mentioned what the cause is, you and I both know without a doubt what it is... however, the root cause has to be carefully broached by these private institutions, even public ones, as their research funding partially comes from those who are creating the problem.

If they came right out and accused the out of control development of SWFL, introduction of millions of pounds of Nitrogen rich fertilizers into the water run off which ends up in the Gulf of Mexico and the estuaries via the rivers the political and developer outcrying to provide undeniable proof would blast them with an incredible amount of discredibility from the get go and make it a whopper of a hole to dig out of... patience, studying, monitoring the effects and then presenting solid proof that these sources are the causation of this algae bloom provides a solid irrefutable study that makes it hard to argue otherwise.

Motes biggest concerns is not the Red Tide though, but Marine Mammals and Sharks, thus the mammal rehabilitation center and shark research facility. Incidentally, the shark research has an emphasis on cancer research. :)

If you've not been up there, we should take a trip while its to chilly to really want to dive :)

CBulla:
the root cause has to be carefully broached by these private institutions, even public ones, as their research funding partially comes from those who are creating the problem.

This is starting to seem like a common thread on undertakings by MOTE. Can they really be effective while being beholden to the very cause of the problem? They'd have to be willing to bite the hand that feeds them. It does go a bit deeper, though. I still, whenever I think about it, am amazed that they appointed the convicted felon to do a study on the effects of the longlining industry. It comes down to integrity, and I'm beginning to find MOTE lacking.

CBulla:
If you've not been up there, we should take a trip while its to chilly to really want to dive :)

That's why God invented dry suits. :) Can you tell I'm excited?

ReefGuy:
This is starting to seem like a common thread on undertakings by MOTE. Can they really be effective while being beholden to the very cause of the problem? They'd have to be willing to bite the hand that feeds them. It does go a bit deeper, though. I still, whenever I think about it, am amazed that they appointed the convicted felon to do a study on the effects of the longlining industry. It comes down to integrity, and I'm beginning to find MOTE lacking.

Who did they appoint and is there anything to back up the accusation? I'm more curious than anything.

From the St. Pete times:

Great grouper debate near end?
Commercial and sport fishing groups spar over an upcoming study on the longline method.
By TERRY TOMALIN, Times Outdoors Editor
Published November 14, 2005

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After months of debate and controversy, hundreds of thousands of recreational anglers will learn Wednesday when they can once again fish for red grouper in the Gulf of Mexico.

But the story behind this historic meeting of the Gulf of Mexico Fishery Management Council is about much more than a cheap fish sandwich.

It is a tale of power, money and old school politics. Since 1994, when Floridians voted overwhelmingly to ban nets from state waters, commercial fishermen and recreational anglers have battled for public opinion.

The billion-dollar commercial industry says sport fishermen are nibbling away at their piece of the pie. But the $5-billion recreational sector, which thanks to the Internet is better organized than ever, says commercial fishermen are depleting fish stocks for generations to come.

The federal government, charged with protecting the resource, now finds itself with the unenviable task of mediating between two warring factions.

"We question the federal government's numbers," said Dennis O'Hern, spokesman for the Fishing Rights Alliance. "We also suspect (federal fishery managers) too often make decisions to benefit the industry."

At the heart of the dispute is the Madeira Beach-based commercial longline fleet, an industry that lays miles of fishing line rigged with thousands of hooks on the sea floor.

Opponents think longlines kill indiscriminately, without regard for size, sex or species. They say longlines kill everything from sharks to endangered sea turtles.

The exact number of undersized grouper caught and discarded dead by longline vessels is also a matter of debate. Estimates range from 12 to 80 percent.

The Times has learned the federal government plans to hire Bob Spaeth, spokesman for the commercial longline fleet, to do a yearlong study on industry bycatch, then turn the results over to the National Marine Fisheries Service.

According to documents obtained under the federal Freedom of Information Act, Spaeth and his company, Madeira Marine Services, will be paid $317,625 in 2006 to determine "what percentage of the catch was non-marketable bycatch."

Last month, conservation and sportfishing groups were outraged after the Times reported Spaeth hired a former commercial fisherman once charged with possessing 77 undersized grouper to perform a similar, $101,000-taxpayer-funded study for Sarasota's Mote Marine Laboratory.

Now sport fishing groups are incensed at the latest revelation of the government using commercial fishermen to study the effects of their own industry.

"Why in the world would the government give that much money to the primary lobbyist for the longline fleet?" asked Ted Forsgren, executive director of the Florida chapter of the Coastal Conservation Association.

"That is a huge conflict of interest. How can (Spaeth) possibly perform an unbiased study of his own industry?"

Spaeth said he sees no conflict.

"It is called cooperative research with industry," he said. "There is no cloak and dagger stuff going on. The people who believe there is are the same people who think the president of the United States is skimming off the oil business."

Federal officials shut down the red grouper fishery Nov. 1, saying sport fishermen had caught too many of the prized fish.

If sport fishermen prevail at this week's meeting, it will mark a turning point in what many believe has been an industry-dominated system of fishery management.

The Coastal Conservation Association won a major legal battle last month when it persuaded a federal judge to overturn a federal plan that would have stopped fishing for all grouper, not just red grouper, for the months of November and December.

Like many in the sport fishing community, Forsgren thinks that longline bycatch is the single most important issue fishery managers will face in the coming year.

"With all the great universities and independent research institutes in Florida and throughout the country I cannot believe that (Spaeth) is the most qualified person to perform a study of this magnitude," he said.

O'Hern, whose organization joined the lawsuit against the National Marine Fisheries Service, was equally dismayed when told of the study.

O'Hern said sportfishing groups will dismiss the results of any industry-based study of bycatch.

"There is an inherent bias," O'Hern said. "They will use this study to legitimize what the (industry) has been saying all along ... that longlines don't have a high bycatch rate."

This week's Gulf Council meeting comes at a critical time. Last week, the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration announced that U.S. seafood consumption rose for the third straight year. Also last week, 406 scientists called on Congress to force fishery managers to use "the best available science" to stop overfishing and not bow to pressure from the fishing industry.

The politics of the current system is one reason Panama City lawyer James Fensom chose not to be considered for a second term on the Gulf Council.

"The legal determination of a conflict of interest is so lax that even though a member and the member's relatives may make a living directly from a fishery, votes that have a substantial impact upon that fishery are not considered to be a conflict of interest," Fensom wrote in a letter to Gov. Jeb Bush.

The National Marine Fisheries Service is working with Spaeth and his organization, the Southern Offshore Fishing Association, on a referendum that if approved, would initiate a "partial" buyout of the longline industry.

Theoretically, the $35-million taxpayer-funded program would cut the longline fleet in half. But opponents of the plan - recreational anglers and commercial fishermen who use "vertical" gear - say the buyout would ultimately make the owners of large longline boats wealthier and put the small operators out of business.

Spaeth and a committee of other commercial fishermen mailed out ballots to 1,150 reef fish permit holders. Of the 568 ballots that were returned and deemed valid, 62 percent (350) voted against the plan, 38 percent (218) voted for it.

But federal officials plan to "weight" the vote, giving greater credence to fishermen with the highest catches. Under the federal Freedom of Information Act, the Times asked for an accounting of how the vote will be weighted.

Dr. Roy Crabtree, southeast regional director for the National Marine Fisheries Service, said he is inclined to deny the request. "If you know how the votes are weighted," he said, "then you will know how many fish a permit holder caught. That is privileged information."

Spaeth dismisses those who say his company has a conflict doing the bycatch study. He cited a three-year, $169,388 study by the Florida Fish & Wildlife Research Institute - which uses sport divers, including O'Hern of the Fishing Rights Alliance - to collect data on hogfish.

"If you think there is a conflict with our bycatch study," Spaeth said, "then there is a conflict with the hogfish study as well."

When told about Spaeth's comment, O'Hern laughed.

"That's ridiculous," he said. "To compare the hogfish study to an industry bycatch study isn't even comparing apples to oranges. It is like comparing apples to hamburgers. They are not even both fruit."

http://www.sptimes.com/2005/11/14/S...r_debate_.shtml

ReefGuy:
http://www.sun-herald.com/NewsArchive2/122705/tp6np9.htm?date=122705&story=tp6np9.htm

A new Karenia brevis red tide bloom along the coast of southwest Florida extends from southern Pinellas to northern Sarasota counties, according to the Fish and Wildlife Research Institute.

Nearshore concentrations ranged from very low to low. One sample in Sarasota Bay from early last week, at New Pass where Mote Marine Laboratory is located, was medium. It's enough to kill fish.

I don't see this red tide information on the FWC's site. I wonder where the staff writer is getting the info? The following is from December 23, 2005:

Southwest Region: Most alongshore samples collected this week from southwest Florida contained no Karenia brevis, the Florida red tide organism. No offshore samples were collected. K. brevis was present at the south Sunshine Skyway fishing pier on 12/19 and in very low concentrations at Sarasota’s New Pass on 12/20. Concentrations are reduced in the Florida Keys, although K. brevis is still being detected from Marathon to west of the Marquesas Keys. Visual observations of discolored water were also reported earlier in the week from areas north of Marathon and southeast of Key West. Respiratory irritation is possible in areas with above-background concentrations of K. brevis.

http://research.myfwc.com/features/view_article.asp?id=9670

By the way, if excess nutrients or nitrogen are thought to be the source, then why did red tide occur prior to settlement in Florida? Something doesn't add up. Granted we're probably not helping the situation with excess nutrients.

Oceandvr:
By the way, if excess nutrients or nitrogen are thought to be the source, then why did red tide occur prior to settlement in Florida? Something doesn't add up. Granted we're probably not helping the situation with excess nutrients.

The build up occurs naturally over time. For the last 5 or so years its been nearly constant, something I don't remember occuring in all the year prior in my lifetime of living here.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom