Anyone considering the Dive Rite Transpac II read on...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba446

Reaction score
Had chance to see and try on the Dive Rite Transpac II harness today at the dealer. I wasn't too impressed.

I currently have a 1-pc Halcyon variety now.

I wasn't too impressed with the 'soft pack' style of the harness and how the tank's cam bands attach to the harness vs using a BP and STA. To me, just looked 'cheesy.'

I don't know if the D.O. Matrix will be nicer, or how the OMS IQ is. but....

Just my $ .02....

I did see how guys are using the Dive Rite and OMS wings (single or dual bladder) of 45# and up and using them on both singles or twins these days instead of going 2 differant wings for singles or twins. Thats a nice savings of about $350 in extra wings vs having a Pioneer AND Explorer wing...wonder how well it works though..

?

I own and use a BP with wings, a Transpac II and three different jacket style BC's. In my opinion, the Transpac II with travel wing is superior to BP for single tanks. It is comfortable, stable, solid, perfectly balanced and easily trimmed out for any exposure suit you might want to try. A rock solid piece of gear.
Rick

Looked 'cheesy' and thin the me...the nylon straps were thin and small, and the wings connect by what appeared to be 2 nylon bolts. I can't believe HOW someone could wear a tank on their back w/o a BP and have the tank right against their spine w/o at least some plastic backing plate or something. I couldn't believe they actually sell that for $275.

Looked liek if you hung twins on it it would rip apart of the weight would hang it low.

The SS belt buckle was thin as compared to Scubapro buckles.

I just didn't see it as worth the money and how stable a tank could be in that rig.

I just bought one a month or so ago for use with single tanks and it's working fine. It's solidly built and comfortable; if I had a quibble, it would be that the shoulder straps aren't as adjustable as I would like.

My objective is to be as comfy and streamlined in the water as possible, so I got the travel wings and immediately stripped off all the unnecessary D-rings. I don't do that much tech diving, but if I get back into it I can modify the TransPac to suit my needs.

Cheers!

I've had the TP II for about 8 months and love it. It holds my HP 120 sercure and is very comfortable. Haven't dove it with doubles yet but I got it becasue it will grow with me as I move up to doubles. Never had a problem with it.

I know there are several people on here who dive with it and like it too, but to each his own.

BTW, just my $0.02 too

Ty

Is this rig designed for traveling, i.e. folds up in a suitcase? While I've enjoyed the BP/wings threads, they all seem geared to cold water and heavy.

Originally posted by dleiss
Is this rig designed for traveling, i.e. folds up in a suitcase?
The way I have it configured, yes. Others here use their TransPac's with double tanks, larger wings, side-mount, the works.

Originally posted by Scuba446
Had chance to see and try on the Dive Rite Transpac II harness today at the dealer. I wasn't too impressed.

I wasn't too impressed with the 'soft pack' style of the harness and how the tank's cam bands attach to the harness vs using a BP and STA. To me, just looked 'cheesy

So how did it feel in the water?? :wink:

I know two people who dive it with doubles and love it. One is an instructor/freind who just did his Trimix training using a TPII with rec wing, double 95's and deco bottles. He loves his rig almost as much as his Apeks atx200's. I keep hearing about both.

I like my TPII, I also like my BP. we'll see what happens as the training goes on. My TPII may end up being my vacation or my wetsuit BC, and the BP for the drysuit. hmmm...............

Originally posted by Scuba446
Looked 'cheesy' and thin the me...the nylon straps were thin and small, and the wings connect by what appeared to be 2 nylon bolts. I can't believe HOW someone could wear a tank on their back w/o a BP and have the tank right against their spine w/o at least some plastic backing plate or something. I couldn't believe they actually sell that for $275.

Looked liek if you hung twins on it it would rip apart of the weight would hang it low.

The SS belt buckle was thin as compared to Scubapro buckles.

I just didn't see it as worth the money and how stable a tank could be in that rig.
What you're describing is not a Transpac II. Perhaps you've been handed a knockoff. A real Transpac uses heavy-duty 2" webbing for all the weight-bearing straps, is plenty sturdy and can handle doubles as well as singles just fine. A real Transpac has wonderfully comfortable padding between your back and the tank(s). In a real Transpac the wings are connected to either the doubles bolts or with dual cam-bands when using a single - there are no nylon bolts involved.
Don't know what you were handed, but it ain't a Transpac.
Rick

Got my TPII about a year ago and floating in the box was a pair of nylon bolts with well nuts screwed on them. Found out later that these were to "hold" the wing in place on the soft pack in the absence of a tank or set of doubles. They are in no means structural since the tank actually holds the wings in place.
Never the less, I quickly regulated these plastic things to my "junk drawer" in place of some SS bolts and well nuts just for my own security. (without a tank on the TPII, the wings are only being held on by the tank band straps if these are not in place)

That is really the only thing "cheesy" about the TPII. Dove it several times and haven't had any problems etc. Very comfortable, adjustable, etc.

Back
Top Bottom