Swimmer's Ear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
:jaws: :jaws: I have signed-up for a January snorkeling/free diving program in the Belize area, and among the equipment they recommend is a SWIMMER's EAR. Does anybody out there know what this is?

They sell it in many stores. Just something to keep your ears from getting sore. Most divers mix it up themselves. 50% alcohal and 50% vinegar.

Drying agent, drys your ears out after you have gotten water in them. Swimmers ear is also the common name for a very painful ear ache type infection. I'm pretty sure they aren't recommending that :)

I would reccommend getting it. I have really sensitive ears, and I use this a lot... I had a swimmers ear infection once, after swimming at the hotel and then flying. It hurts. BAD. I would hope thats not what their reccommending!! :)

Have fun!

spectrum:
I think what they meant to communicate was to bring a product to prevent swimmers ear.

Here's an oldie but goodie...
http://www.scubaboard.com/showpost.php?p=1312758&postcount=8

The 5 minutes is critical, no cheating!

Pete
Actually there is a drying agent called Swimmers Ear. I have a bottle in my dive bag.

Swim-EAR, the commercial product is Isopropyl Alcohol, 95%; Anhydrous Glycerin, 5%. It, and other similar products are available in drugstores. Putting a few drops into each ear after diving will help dry the water remaining in the ear. I do find it irritating, however, and just do a quick flood of the ear, and then dump it out.

A 50/50 mixture of rubbing alcohol (70% isopropyl alchohol) and white vinegar works best by putting it into the ear and letting it soak for at least 5 minutes. This both helps to remove any water, and also leaves the ear tissues sufficiently acidic that bacterial growth is inhibited.

Bob3:
My ears get really irritated by high percentage of alcohol, I wouldn't recommend anything over 30% or so.
Equal parts of distilled water, vinegar, & alcohol work extremely well for me, and it makes a good sunglasses cleaner to boot. :wink:
It makes my pillow smell like salad when I roll over.

Yep its Alcohol and can be had at wallgreens, some dive stores,swim shops, I use it after dives not too much!! as it can dry your ears out of the good things and cause some problems too!
It stops wet ear,and any crud from growing and screwing up your dive trip=Get some!
Brad

Back
Top Bottom