how many instructors using BP/W's?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MartiniTime

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I was having this discussion with another board member the other day. How many of you guys out there are instructors and are using BP/wings?

Pros and cons? I'll be doing the IDC in Sept. and I was wondering what issues I might run into using a BP wing? The most obviouse is demostrating removal and replacment of the BC skills.

I'd like to hear from anyone with experience in the arena.

I do not use a BP/Wings for open water instructing. I use a big jacket (Seaquest Pro QD).
I do use a BP/Wings when I want to on my own dives.
Rick

I dont use wings for teaching up till Tech courses anyway, I show my students my Wings so they know what they are.

But for teaching I use a Mares Vector 1000, it is more comfortable and easier for three main reasons

First I wear it cause my students are wearing jacket style BCD's so it is easier for them to follow the skills.

Second wings are a pain in the ass in the pool and in shallow depths of the Open Water Class

and third I dont like taking my wings in the chlorine of the pool or being dragged about on the beach during rescue courses.

Cheers
Chris
PADI MSDT
http://homepage.mac.com/sydney_diver

I do all my diving including teaching in bp/wing, alt oround neck and a 7 ft primary hose. My DM's are configured the same except a couple have back inflate bc's. The bc's will be replaced. We are working on replacing all the school back inflat bc's with bp/wing. I have encountered no problems at all. We were hesitant to go this rout because if the student goes out and rents junk they may be taken off gaurd. I decided that it didn't make sense to use junk because others were.

I was using an old jacket in the pool because I didn't want to ruin the good stuff. The problem was, the jacket dives like crap. When my wing starts to look bad I'll grab another.

My students see me doing like I say.

You might not want to try to teach your course director or examiners though.

Mike,

I was gonig to use a BP/W but with a normal hose config. Obviously I am not going to try and convert the Course director or examiners.

Did you have any skill demonstration issues with a BP/w?

I am thinking I may just buy a cheap(er) weight integrated back inflate BC for use with classes. I hate to spend that money though, since I probably will not actually be teaching. I'll be in non teaching status more than likely. I dont work for a shop and I dont want to pay insurance if i am not making any money.

I wouldn't suggest using the Backplate and wings during the IDC or the IE. The reason being, the Rescue drill. We had this guy that had the old Scuba Pro jacket style BC, you know, the one without the QD's on the sholder straps. What a PITA to get his gear off when he was the victim. No one wanted to use him for that role because it was just to difficult to keep him afloat and remove the BC. He even had trouble removing his own gear and if I remember right he failed the rescue portion of the IE because of it.

Stay with the non teck/DIR style BC for the class and switch back after the IE is over. I use the normal style gear during the pool dives to show the students what it looks like and how it works but switch to the DIR style for the openwater dives. This always gives me the opportunity to explane the benifits of the configuration to them because they always seem to want to know why I use it.

Good Luck,

Scott

As far as skill demonstrations, just practice. I don't have any trouble getting in or out of my harness. It's a good idea to practice with any new gear. While demonstrating is no time to fumble.

I think I should look as good as I can in the water especially while teaching. For me that means using what works best for me. One of the videos I show my students is the Mexico cave diving video everyone is talking about. I will use a GUE video if I can ever get my hands on one. I am not a "DIR" guy but there is no denying the skill of some of those guys in the water. I show it to illustrate what a diver should look like in the water (not to promote cave diving). After setting the mark I am obligated to look like that myself. I can show videos in class but in the water the staff and I set the example. It really comes down to practicing what I preach.

Padipro is right. For the IDC and IE do it like everyone else.

Originally posted by MikeFerrara
As far as skill demonstrations, just practice. I don't have any trouble getting in or out of my harness. It's a good idea to practice with any new gear. While demonstrating is no time to fumble.
I have the utmost respect for your obvious instructing ability and I'm interested to know how you make the long hose setup work within the context of OW training. Hopefully MartiniTime won't mind me veering off the original question.

Do you encourage/expect your students to go with a long hose? How do you demo if they don't?
Do you have a snorkel attached to your mask? Does it get in the way for OOA drills?
Canister/something to hook the 7' hose at your waist?

Mark.

Chute II (Back inflate) with yoke reg, normal console, AL for all the pool sessions... I have to show them how to set things up and use it!

Chute II, Steel 120 with DIN H valve, Long hose, and Cobra for the Spring dives (OW 1, 2, & 3)... They know how to use their stuff and see another configuration. One tank is all I need while they might need two.

BP & Wings, Double 72s, Long hose, and Cobra for the off shore dives (OW 4 & 5)... They know how to use their stuff and see yet another configuration. I can still outlast their two tanks on this, and I don't have to fart with my gear during SITs. I get to concentrate on THEM.

They see that there are many choices, but we all still need to breathe underwater!

Originally posted by DuckDive

I have the utmost respect for your obvious instructing ability and I'm interested to know how you make the long hose setup work within the context of OW training. Hopefully MartiniTime won't mind me veering off the original question.

Do you encourage/expect your students to go with a long hose? How do you demo if they don't?
Do you have a snorkel attached to your mask? Does it get in the way for OOA drills?
Canister/something to hook the 7' hose at your waist?

Mark.

We currently have octo-length primary hoses (for students) with shorter alternate hoses with the alt worn on the neck. We are replacing this these with 5- 7 ft hoses depending on the size of the student. This works as well in open water as anywhere. The newer and less skilled the diver the more they benifit (it makes air sharing easier). I do wear a snorkel when teaching open water. I have no trouble deploying my long hose. Sometimes I run the hose under a pocket but not always. If you are horizantal the hose will stay put. We are also replacing the back inflation bc's our students use with bp/wing. The reason? Trim and stability. Tanks flopping around make control more difficult. I don't think teaching divers to be head up foot down and churning up the bottom with a flutter kick is acceptable.

As for my ability to instruct, I am learning. My students are getting better so I think I am too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom