Halcyon Pioneer question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba_Swinger

Registered
Reaction score
Hiya folks,

The story goes...I got my new Halcyon BP + Wing (Pioneer) yesterday and was impressed. I set the whole shootin' match up and have a couple of questions.

1. The wing/butterfly nuts which keep the wing in place. They have both a flat type head and the other end is the actual nut. I had a quick think about it and thought the following

' If I have the wing nuts toward my back it could be possible for my dry suit (haven't bought one yet but it will be trilam) to catch on the wings of the nut and possibly tear. I really don't want that. But if I put the flat head side toward my back and the wing nut on the tank side the tank will scrape off of the nuts and perhaps damage the thread on the screws, making it difficult/impossible to unscrew the nuts to remove the wing.'

And yes, for all you smart asses I have been told that I think too much about the little stuff.#

So I’ve got it setup so that the wing nuts are on the tank side. I thought afterward that the storage pack might actually protect any equip damage. So which is the right/better option?

2. When I was adjusting the webbing to fit me I took into account that I would be, for the next while, wearing about 14mm's of wetsuit. Its chilly water diving in Ireland no matter what time of year. However, the BC seemed to be sitting very low on my back. The bottom of the plate was just at the top of my - fanny - (fanny, means something very different over here, but when on a roman scuba board speak as Romans speak). It just seemed a bit low and it’s probably because I wasn't wearing a suit at the time but the question is really, how snug should the straps be and is there a way to set the system up so it is a bit higher on you back. I'm sure tightening the straps would do the job but that may make it difficult to remove the rig on the surface while being picked up by the rib.

Any comments from people who know what’s going on are much appreciated....Also tips on any other setup points - fire away.

I hope I didn't ramble on too much.

Another thing is, i can't go to my LDS as i got it from the US and the reason is because no one in ireland sells this type of kit. I'll taking it for a test run over to Galway this weekend to see ow she performs and would like to have it setup in reasonably shape before the drop my into the big blue.

Go raibh maith agat. (Thanks)

I can answer your first question. You have it backwards, the wing nuts should be facing your back.

But if I put the flat head side toward my back and the wing nut on the tank side the tank will scrape off of the nuts and perhaps damage the thread on the screws, making it difficult/impossible to unscrew the nuts to remove the wing.'

GP is right, wing nuts on the back.

how snug should the straps be and is there a way to set the system up so it is a bit higher on you back. I'm sure tightening the straps would do the job but that may make it difficult to remove the rig on the surface while being picked up by the rib.

You want the top of the plate at the 2nd vertebrae...tighten it until it is there. You should be able to touch the top of the plate by reaching back over your shoulder. One trick is to stick each thumb in the front D-rings and pull outward to doff the rig.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom