Aqualung Cousteau reg and Deco Training?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

raviepoo

Contributor
Reaction score
in exile in the Pennsyltucky Archipellago
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm preparing to take TDI Advanced Nitrox and Decompression Procedures training, as well as extended range training. The instructor has suggested that I buy a new reg to use as my primary and relagate my Aqualung Cousteau Micra Adjustible reg to my stage bottle. What I didn't mention to him is that I have two Aqualung regs, both O2 clean. I was planning on using one as a primary, renting a backup, and using the other Cousteau on the stage bottle.

With all of the money I'm spending on diving and training, I'm just not ready to buy another reg. I bought the Aqualung because it is a high performance reg that breathes as easy at depth as it does at 15 feet. I'm very happy with it. I've never been down deeper than 124 feet and the coldest water I've been in is 43 degrees. It has performed well in all situations so far.

If I go deeper than 130 feet, am I likely to have a problem? Aside from the fact that lots of folks on this board favor Apex, is there any reason why it would be NECESSARY for me to buy a new regulator at this point in my training? Do I need to worry about whether my existing reg will fail on me at depth?

Originally posted by raviepoo
I'm preparing to take TDI Advanced Nitrox and Decompression Procedures training, as well as extended range training. The instructor has suggested that I buy a new reg to use as my primary and relagate my Aqualung Cousteau Micra Adjustible reg to my stage bottle. What I didn't mention to him is that I have two Aqualung regs, both O2 clean. I was planning on using one as a primary, renting a backup, and using the other Cousteau on the stage bottle.

With all of the money I'm spending on diving and training, I'm just not ready to buy another reg. I bought the Aqualung because it is a high performance reg that breathes as easy at depth as it does at 15 feet. I'm very happy with it. I've never been down deeper than 124 feet and the coldest water I've been in is 43 degrees. It has performed well in all situations so far.

If I go deeper than 130 feet, am I likely to have a problem? Aside from the fact that lots of folks on this board favor Apex, is there any reason why it would be NECESSARY for me to buy a new regulator at this point in my training? Do I need to worry about whether my existing reg will fail on me at depth?

The first thing i am curious about is whether your instructor told you WHY he thinks you should by another regulator. If so i'd love to know what reason he gave. I am not familiar with this regulator but the review i read on it was very positive. The only thing i wonder about is the fact whether or not you can take the 2nd stage apart under water with gloves on and no tools. If you require tools or you cant do it with gloves on then i can see why the reg would not be suitable for your purpose, but in that case it really would not be a good choice for a deco or stage bottle either
The other possibility is that this is an 'upstream' design regulator in that case it is not suitable either, but i dont know, you'd have to ask the manufacturer

Ok, here's another question - are most regs today upstream or downstream and whats all that about anyways?

2. I have AL regs too so this is of concern to me as well, as I am looking at getting Nitrox certified and going on to AOW and DIRF courses, with deeper and stage and deco diving in the future.

Should I quit purchasing AL's now and go with Apeks? (Something I planned on doing for future purchases anyways, like the ATX100).

Question IS, will my 2 AL's still be useful then? And realistically, WHY would anyone have to take their reg cover off underwater?

This may sound ignorant, but keep in mind, I am a new diver...

Originally posted by sheck33

The first thing i am curious about is whether your instructor told you WHY he thinks you should by another regulator. If so i'd love to know what reason he gave.

I suspect that the real reason is that he doesn't sell or service Aqualung. This is because the reg he suggested as a replacemnet primary was an Oceanic, that has a very similar form factor to my AL and I can't really see any advantage to it after reading a bunch of reviews.

IF I take to tech diving like a duck to water and IF I end up doing it frequently, I will need several regs. Obviously, the instructor would be pleased if I buy my gear from his shop. But I'm not ready to shell out mucho bucks for equipment yet. I would rather rent until I know how far I want to go with this new phase of diving. Also, If I move away from Aqualung I think I'm inclined to move to Apex, which he does not sell in his store.

I'm looking for advice on this forum because I plan on using my Aqualung regs for these training dives and I want to know if that decision is going to end up with me in a hospital or mortuary.

I second the question about upstream/downstream.

Oooo,
Based on my experience in our I.C.U. Dept. at the hospital where I work - I doubt it..

Originally posted by Scuba446
Ok, here's another question - are most regs today upstream or downstream and whats all that about anyways?

2. I have AL regs too so this is of concern to me as well, as I am looking at getting Nitrox certified and going on to AOW and DIRF courses, with deeper and stage and deco diving in the future.

Should I quit purchasing AL's now and go with Apeks? (Something I planned on doing for future purchases anyways, like the ATX100).

Question IS, will my 2 AL's still be useful then? And realistically, WHY would anyone have to take their reg cover off underwater?

This may sound ignorant, but keep in mind, I am a new diver...

Here is a link i think describes upstream and downstream regulators pretty well

http://www.delportdupreez.co.za/diving/equipment/html/second_stage.html#upvalve

Upstream regs are more complicated and have additional failure points that should be avoided. I think most regulators on the market today are of the downstream type but you would want to doublecheck that, i am not 100% sure
I wouldnt be surprised that your instructor wants you to buy regs he or his diveshop sells, if my diveshop knew i was divign a Halcyon wing when i help with classes they'd go ballistic :mean:
if you want to be sure about this issue and not just take your instructors word for it i'd ask a GUE instructor
I do use aqualung regs on some of my decobottles

and yes i have had to take my 2nd stage apart twice to clean out some debris that got in there and caused somewhat of a freeflow.
It was my own fault as the reg should not have been dangling in the first place, anyway i got that taken care of :)

My original regulator is an AquaLung Conshelf 11, bought used in 1972. I have had it to obscene depths (where it wiorked, obviously) when I was young and immortal, and I still use it on deco bottles - and it still works just fine, thank you.
These days I'm diving Micras and Legends at depth and they are sweet. I believe your instructor's protestations are based on something other than the facts.
Rick

What is an 'obscene depth'?

PS I was young and immortal once too but then reality struck.

Originally posted by Rick Murchison
I have had it to obscene depths (where it wiorked, obviously) when I was young and immortal, Rick

If you really want to know the hows, whys and the truth about Regulators check out this website.
http://www.airspeedpress.com/newregbook.html
The books this guy sells are fantastic, after reading this book you should be able to tell everything about you reg that you could ever want to know as well as being able to rebuild it or just to be sure your LDS has done what they are being paid to do.\
god Luck
Jan

The author is a member of this board and posts as Oxyhacker. I have the book and it's a great reference. Divers tend to be opinionated about regs especially tech divers. I use nothing but Zeagle (not the old zeagle that was made by Apeks the new ones actually made by zeagle) Will other regs work? Yes. Do I care? No. Not to mention that as a dealor I have developed a dislike for certain companies. Aqualung would be one of those.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom