St James

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diver gadget

Contributor
Reaction score
Went to dive the St James in Lake Erie yesterday and got about an hour out on the boat. The waves were pretty big out there, probably steady 5-6 foot waves out there with probably the odd 10 foot roller. When we decided to turn around we were hit with about a dozen 10 footers in a row. We couldn't keep the tanks and gear from sliding from one side to the other. We decided to turn back. I have dove lake erie, out of port dover, many times and never been blown off. We are told we are lucky with our weather. Guess this one we wern't so lucky! Anybody else been blown off Lake Erie??

We got blown out on Lake Erie in early May going to dive the Dean Richmond or maybe it was the Boland, anyway we were going out of Barcelona, NY.

Dove the St James and the Atlantic on Friday. Just great wrecks!! I can't say enough. Then I was flipping through the channels on TV sunday night and saw the last half of a special on the Atlantic. I think the show was called the undersea hunters?? The St James is a two masted schooner with masts still upright!! The Atlantic is a 300 foot paddle wheel boat. Again just great wrecks!!!

Who did you use to dive her? If you don't want to post names please PM me and give me details as I'm in the process of setting up a charter there. I would like to know who to use and who not to since Ed is no longer doing charters.

Thanks
O2diver

We used Dixie from longpoint divers www.longpointdivers.com. They leave from Port Dover so the ride is about 2.5 hours to get to the St James. The boat holds 10 people, pretty good boat for diving. We only had 6 of us on the charter which made the ride a little more expensive. If you organize a trip out there and need more bodies to fill the boat let me know as there are three of us that would do it again for sure.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom