Next generation integration dive computers with Carbon Monoxide and Nitrox detection.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

overandover

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
It may be pie in the sky, but it would sure be nice to hook up your dive computer and have it sense the oxygen percentage and also detect and warn of any CO that is present. I wonder if anybody is pursuing that, or if it is even feasible.

It could also enhance more of a market for testing and certification. You would bring your computer in with your reg.s once a year for maintenance, testing, and certification. For me it would even be an extra incentive for being more attentive to my annual maintenance.

(It looks like I may end up spending up to $500.00 on the available test equipment for my own personal protection in addition to what I have already spent on a computer. I'm not complaining, just looking for more convenience and streamlining.)

$500 for stand alone NO2 analylzer and CO meter sound a bit high. But I'd bet that's cheap compared to what it would cost for an integrated computer with those capabilities.

Computers that read o2 levels have been around a while. I've even used one so you KNOW it can't be new technology. CO2 I haven't seen, and to be honset, can't see why it would be that critical for the average diver.

CO and PO2 aren't really things that you need to monitor throughout the dive(at least on open circuit scuba). It's just important that you test your nitrox mix before each dive, CO monitering would be a good idea to do pre dive but no one does it. I'd think a combination O2 analyzer/ CO detector would be a better idea.

PerroneFord:
Computers that read o2 levels have been around a while. I've even used one so you KNOW it can't be new technology. CO2 I haven't seen, and to be honset, can't see why it would be that critical for the average diver.

The effects of CO (carbon monoxide) interfere with human O2 transport (via bonding with hemoglobin preferentially, excluding O2 uptake) far more quickly than CO2 (carbon dioxide) generally affects you (through asphyxiation - like the Kursk crew or the trapped coal miners). Dr. Kevorkian made quite a name for himself this way knowing about CO.

So, I agree a CO2 analyzer wouldn't be of much value in and of itself, but a CO analyzer would certainly have value. If you find CO, there's likely CO2 as well, and vice-versa but the CO will probably get you first - especially at elevated ambient pressures.

Once you dive anywhere that uses internal combustion engines to power the compressors that pump the breathing mix into your tank, this becomes more clear. There have been posts on this board of issues with air fills where the compressor suction was routed outside the compressor building and sucked in exhaust fumes from running vehicle engines in parking lots or nearby construction activities, even though the compressor itself wasn't powered by an internal combustion engine.

Thanks WarmWaterDiver. I had forgotten about the less than pristine fills I am accustomed to. But it seems that this kind of analyzer would be a top-side thing rather than something you'd need a dive computer to handle. Not any way I can think of to elevate CO or CO2 levels in a tank while underwater on open circuit. Unless you know differently.

It is definitely something you want to test for before breathing from the tank if you have a concern. There have been devices like Draeger tubes and the CO-COP around for quite a while, but they never get universal appeal.

Our one liveaboard trip to the Flower Gardens NMS on the Sea Searcher, the boat had a couple of diesel powered air compressors on board for example. Reef House Resort on Roatan was a spot that had compressors that were flexible between electric or diesel power, whichever was more economic or available as suited a location with less than USA reliable electric service. The diesel exhaust was routed well out of and above the compressor building there and we had no problems.

Most of the posts I've seen on this issue have been shops in North America actually.

sorry i dont mean to be a bother, but could you help me out down below, i really need advice and pro opinions, experienced divers to tell me which diving watches are good and what to avoid, so on and so forth. Post back thanx

PerroneFord:
What computer were you using? What PPO2 were you reading during the dive?

I was just checking out a VR3. I wish I could afford one. My instructor has like 5. Maybe I could "borrow" one and he wouldn't notice! :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom