Dive computer - wrist model

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am looking for a dive computer. I want the most conservative, most reliable, and the easiest to use model. I have never used a dive computer before.

Can you please offer your recommendations?

Tanks,

Jim

keyshunter:
Suunto or Suunto, or perhaps SUUNTO.

What he said...........

The Suunto Mosquito provides different operating modes for different types of diving.

In Air mode it is an advanced dive computer with full decompression capability. In addition to complete dive functions the Mosquito provides extensive memory functions, profile recording and dive planning functionality. The logbook can keep up to 36 hours of diving, and the lifetime dive history is also recorded. The model can be adjusted using personal/altitude settings.

In Nitrox mode the Mosquito provides the same functionality as the Air mode, but also enables the use of nitrox mixtures with an oxygen content of 21-50%. The Mosquito has an adjustable PO2 limit (1.2 - 1.6 bar) and tracks CNS% and OTU by a graphical display (Oxygen Limit Fraction).

For freediving, the Mosquito also provides a Freediving mode with an accurate 2 second depth and time recording interval. SCUBA and freedives are kept in separate profile and history memories.

Complete Watch Functions
In addition to the diving modes the Mosquito has a time mode which turns the Mosquito into an water resistant sports watch with complete watch functions. The Mosquito provides an 12/24 hour time display, dual time function, calendar date, daily alarm, and a timer/stopwatch with split time measurement. The Mosquito is water resistant to 100m.
The Suunto Mosquito is an advanced wristop dive computer for the active water sports enthusiast. With complete air and nitrox capability and a separate free diving mode it is suitable for all kinds of diving. The Mosquito is made of composite material and is streamlined and lightweight, provides watch functions and stopwatch, and has an user replaceable battery. The Mosquito is water resistant to 100m, has user changeable units and supports the Dive Manager PC interface.

The Suunto Mosquito provides different operating modes for different types of diving.

In Air mode it is an advanced dive computer with full decompression capability. In addition to complete dive functions the Mosquito provides extensive memory functions, profile recording and dive planning functionality. The logbook can keep up to 36 hours of diving, and the lifetime dive history is also recorded. The model can be adjusted using personal/altitude settings.

In Nitrox mode the Mosquito provides the same functionality as the Air mode, but also enables the use of nitrox mixtures with an oxygen content of 21-50%. The Mosquito has an adjustable PO2 limit (1.2 - 1.6 bar) and tracks CNS% and OTU by a graphical display (Oxygen Limit Fraction).

For freediving, the Mosquito also provides a Freediving mode with an accurate 2 second depth and time recording interval. SCUBA and freedives are kept in separate profile and history memories.

Complete Watch Functions
In addition to the diving modes the Mosquito has a time mode which turns the Mosquito into an water resistant sports watch with complete watch functions. The Mosquito provides an 12/24 hour time display, dual time function, calendar date, daily alarm, and a timer/stopwatch with split time measurement. The Mosquito is water resistant to 100m.

keyshunter:
Suunto or Suunto, or perhaps SUUNTO.

Bingo....

I have the Vyper and have been very happy with it. It's bigger than the Mosquito, so its numbers are larger and it displays more info. However, it doesn't have the freedive mode or time mode. There's also the Gekko, which has all the features of the Vyper except the PC download and the backlight (the Gekko has a phosphorescent display).

All those in favor of Suunto as the most conservative say Aye.

Aye

along the lines of ianr33, i dive an Aeris Atmos II ... not considered the
most "conservative" of computers... yet it duplicates the PADI tables
and i have yet to push it into the red zone.

i find that diving a computer that is not ultra conservative, like Suuntos, gives ME
the ability of scaling back, or cutting the dive short, or whatever, if i need to,
rather than making me a slave to this beeping thing that keeps wanting me to
do whatever it thinks i need to do.

i would recommend the Atmos II btw... cheap, cheap, cheap, easy to use,
batteries last for every, self-replaced, cheap batteries

Do you want Nitrox capabiity? If you don't need Nitrox go with an air only model and save $$. I have a Suunto Gekko and like it very much. The computer I used before I bought the Gekko was an Aeris Atmos I (air only) and I was very satsified with it. It was simple and basic with no bells or whistles but got the job done. The Oceanic Veo 100 and 180 are also good buys for simple to use computers.

I agree with andy but when I read that you wanted conservative, my first thoughts were...SUUNTO!! :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom