Aladin Prime goes into Dive mode in Hotel Room

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JohnW

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Drysuiting it.... in Calgary, Alberta, Canada
# of dives
1000 - 2499
This is interesting, I live in Calgary @ about 3500ft, I occasionally keep my computer in a Otter Box. I had it in the Otterbox on my recent trip to Hawaii. When I get to the Hotel Room i notice I can't get the Box open. I finally pry it open and hear a pop, my computer goes into dive mode right away. It shows a depth of 6ft, after about 10 minutes I decide to pull the battery and replace it. This solves the problem and my computer resets itself and does not thankfully log the non-dive.

I attribute this to the sudden change in pressure. I have a Uwatec Aladin Prime. I would not have done any damage doing this? Also I thought the water contacts had to be activated for the computer to go into dive mode:06:

CatalinaCanuck:
I finally pry it open and hear a pop, my computer goes into dive mode right away. It shows a depth of 6ft,

I would not have done any damage doing this?
All that happened is that the otter box outgassed when at cabin pressure during the flight over, then resealed as you descended and cabin pressure increased. That's why you had such a hard time opening the box. The lowest allowable cabin pressure is about 0.75ata. Repressurizing to 1ata in your hotel room is a sudden increase of up to 0.25ata or about 8' max, so the 6' you saw is reasonable.

It shouldn't do any harm at all. The dive computer was just doing what it's supposed to do.

There might be some sort of override on the water contacts, where even if you don't activate them, a rapid pressure change wakes the unit up. Just a guess, though.

I had a computer go into dive mode when we had a sudden repressurization from 10,000' altitude to sea level while on the taxiway after doing an unscheduled landing at Honolulu. That started a dive to 10' ! After takeoff on a Maui to San Francisco flight there was a "cargo door open" alarm and the pilot reduced pressure to 10,000' to keep the door pressed in while doing an abort to Honolulu. The pilot reduced the pressure before telling the passengers what was going on and some passengers were getting a bit dizzy. Interesting flight.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom