I need advice on dive watches

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I am a somehwat new diver and am in the market for a diving watch. Don't want something way too fancy but i think im willing to spend 250-300$. Anything really nice? new? or just plain reliable and great? Please Post, Thanx

Waterbound:
Hello everyone,
I am a somehwat new diver and am in the market for a diving watch. Don't want something way too fancy but i think im willing to spend 250-300$. Anything really nice? new? or just plain reliable and great? Please Post, Thanx
My favorite in that price range is the Citizen Aqualand Duplex. It combines analog hands and digital depth & dive time readouts and I like that. If you're accustomed to digital watches, the Hyper Aqualand is nice and is downloadable to your computer as well.
They have one glaring fault you should know about, though... no Indiglo, so at night you have to shine your light on 'em to read 'em (the Hyper has a little dinky side light that's worse than worthless in it, so don't be fooled if you see mention of it).
The links in this post are to the outfit with the best prices on 'em that I've found.
Rick

Some good advice here. I come from the school of cheap thought! :)

I have two dive watches.

1. Aqua-Tech digital. From Wal-Mart. Cost ~$6.50. I've taken it to 100ft. Works fine, but after it started getting condensation under it, I lost some confidence.

2. Casio G-Shock. I have the atomic time one with 200m depth and solar power. Never needs to be set, never loses time, never needs a battery, and it's rated deeper than I ever plan on going. Cost ~$75

I wear them both on my dives. When I finally get a dive computer, I'll put the Aqua-Tech in my bag as a backup for emergencies. I believe in having redundant timing devices.

Some people spend a lot of money of diving watches. I never wanted to own a watch so expensive, I would be mad if I lost it. Watch bands break, pins come loose, etc. If you're in the ocean, that thing may drop a couple hundred feet or more. Are you gonna go get it? If I lose a $7 watch, I won't sweat it. If I lose and $80 watch I'll be disappointed, but then go get another. If I lost a $300 watch, I'd be pissed. I don't want to end any dive pissed off.

I've had the Citizen Hyper Aqualand for about 7 yrs now and i think it's still running on the same battery I think....lol....Great watch, never had any issues with it and it give all the necessary info that you need. :wink: Like the othere post said above, it has a rinky dink light though....you'll need to shine your light on it to see it if diving at night.... But it still gets 9 out 10 from me.....:14:

I have a Hyper Aqualand as well... and, yes, apart from the light it is a great peace :D of equipment.

Melle

BTW I have an all-steel version... that really is a nag (being polite) when diving in a 7mm suit!!!
If you need to use it over a suit, buy the rubber strap version. As a watch, however... the rubber strap
cannot beat the all steel model :) I like it as a watch as well.

THanks all!! i found the one that's right for me! You all were a great help! thanxs again

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom