Newfoundland diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rescue38

New
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello all! I had just recently moved to Gander Newfoundland and I am looking for some good dive sites. I had just convinced my girlfriend to learn to dive so now with her new skill I am looking for some shore diving sites. Any info, or if looking for a diving partner let me know!

Welcome to the board!

Joe

Moved from Introductions & Greets forum.

Rescue38:
Hello all! I had just recently moved to Gander Newfoundland and I am looking for some good dive sites. I had just convinced my girlfriend to learn to dive so now with her new skill I am looking for some shore diving sites. Any info, or if looking for a diving partner let me know!

Open the thumbnail.....look for blue stuff.....look for a road that goes there.....

:D

Incidentally, there don't seem to be many roads. In fact, it looks like once you get outside Gander you might stop and stare if you see another human being... :D ..... You must have had a danm good reason to move there.... LOL. Oh.... and if you really want to get serious about diving in Gander, it looks like you're going to need a bad set of wheels. Don't lay that one on the girlfriend until after the course, though... :)

On the serious side, why don't you phone around the diveshops and ask them for tips. Chances are there is a core of serious local divers who know all the best sites.

And welcome to Scubaboard.

R..

Ahhh Google Earth. What a cool piece of software. Actually Diver0001, it's not as barren as it looks in that photo. It's no metropolis but at least there's an airport so he can get to Bell Island in a hurry if he needs a fix.

Rescue, I've never dived them but there are wrecks near Fogo Island. That's not too far from you.

Welcome to the island.
There is a dive shop in Gander. As I understand it it operates out of a guys basement and all you have to do is catch him at home. He'd probably be a good start to diving in Central. Dive shops are always a good place to start.
If you have problems locating the shop and possibly dive club in Gander you could ask one of the guys at a dive shop in St. John's and they could probably steer you in the right direction.
St. John's and area has 3 full time dive shops. Dive Newfounland (with a new club just starting), The Dive Shop, and Ocean Quest who have a lodge, dive tour boat, training pool as well as the shop. Anyone at these shops should be fairly knowledgable. You could also try PSE (Pretty Safe Enterprises) a friend and ACUC, PADI, DAN, Red Cross...........instructor. PSE is on the net as are 2 of the shops.

Good luck and Happy diving

Back
Top Bottom