extreme beginner

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
hey, i'm extremely new to spearfishing just to let you all know. it's very cold to go out with trunks and a rashguard, but i do have PLENTY xmas money and i was wondering if you guys think i should invest in a nice 1 piece fullbody wetsuit ($150) or a fairly decent speargun most of my friends are recommending, also $150. same price. just wondering on your opinion as to which i should buy first.

o yea this is a basic question too but and no ones really told me, so i'd like you guys to answer it. i've heard plenty stories of how guys fishbags attract sharks, and they end up dropping the bag and fleeing for their lives. someone told me something about having the bag attached to your dive buoy, and instead of holding the fish, you leave it tied to a buoy and just continue your fishing. could someone explain in detail how this works?

o and if anyone here lives on oahu (hawaii), you can AIM me at mizoufiziks. we go

Hi, well first thing to look at is, where are you and how cold do you think the water is? After that, depending on how cold the water is and concidering weather or not I would be spear fishing all year long or just during the warmer months could help you decide what you would need or not need. And nothing better then a good spear gun. Check past post here or go to deeperblue.net for equipment needed. They really know their stuff on that site not that they don't here just more there cause that's what they do. As far as wetsuits, again depending on need and how ya much want to spend your local dive shop is a good place to start. Good spearing

If you live in Hawaii, the wetsuit would be the best thing to get first, so you can get out freediving more often and get some experience.

You can get a fairly good used speargun for around $150, but few new ones. There will be far more choices to consider in a gun than a wetsuit. Borrow some if you can and check what divers around you are using, and for what kinds of fish.

Chad

I've spent years killing fish with a pole spear. Save yourself some money, practice your skills, and when you're ready buy a gun. Put your money in a good wetsuit.

Check out leisure pro or divers direct get a closeout 3 mil. When I was in Hawaii the walmart on Maui had a tone of cheap pole spears. Get both and enjoy. Upgrade both after you have had time to save and get experience. The experience will tell you what you type of hunting you like and what kind of requirements you will have for your gun

Pillow there are OTHER cool web sites that have great deals.....hint hint.

Happy Diving

I just spent some time in Oahu with friends spearfishing there. They use a tool called a "kui" (sure its misspelled - lol) that it attached to a ring on the float they drag through the water while freediving. The kui is basically a pointed 10" or so metal stick that is attached in the CENTER of the stick to the line attaching it to the float. The stick goes through the fish's mouth/gills and the 5" or so on each side keeps fish secure from getting out once inserted.

Most people used a 2/3 wetsuit, but I was most comfortable in a 5 mil for this time of year. After borrowing a friend's Wong hybrid, I loved is so much I decided to order one for myself for use in FLA. At first though, you'd want to borrow guns and practice your techinque freediving and looking at fish behavior - those fish in Oahu are both quick and SMART!!!

Invest in a good wettie first and work on your freediving first. you'll never have much luck spearing if you're not comfortable.
a good suit and strong freediving fundiments will help greatly.

Good Luck!

Are there actually $150 wetsuits and $150 spearguns...Invest in a good wetsuit...Myself and the others I spearfish with tend to keep the fish close to us. May sound like asking for trouble but we have had very little trouble with pesky sharks. I know this issue is very debated in the SCUBA world but, in this case, we always buddy dive. Spearing fish is alot harder than it seems. Just ask the grouper that laughed its *** off at me this past Summer. Practice alot...Cold water? Big sharks in cold water:) Just kidding...Above all...be safe and you will have fun...

Back
Top Bottom