Vytec vs. Vyper

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jorbar1551

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Looking to buy a new dive computer in a few weeks. Right now, i have 50 dives, most in cold monterey,CA. I dont do many decompression dives now, but i look forward to doing more difficult "tec" dives, when i get the funds to purchase a new computer and doubles equipment, along with classes.

Im looking at either the vytec or vyper computers...possibly at other computers if they offer the same. I like how the vytec has the timer in seconds, and also the gas mixing while diving, but would have no use for that now.

What is everyones opinion on these two computers, both positive and negative?

Any other computers that are similiar and cheaper that i should look into?

Jordan
When the boogey man goes to sleep, he checks his closet for chuck norris
Every piece of furniture in Chuck Norris' house is a Total Gym

If you're serious about getting into more technical diving, definitley take the classes. You're right in that Vytec will do multiple gas mixes, Vyper won't. Vytec has a selectable RGBM. A Vytec DS is out now also, Deep stop. If you know you're wanting to go technical, then go ahead and spend the money and get what you'll need.

Naah... If you ARE getting into tech, all you really need is a bottom timer. Besides, you pay extra for the ability to have a wireless connection pressure gauge on the Vytec, which you totally don't need.

The Vyper is an excellent comp for any kind of recreational diving, and a great bottom timer for tech since the display and userfriendlyness is superior of any comp I've looked at. I'm getting my Vyper next month, after next pay day...

There's nothing WRONG with the Vytec. I simply see no need to pay the extra money, which is considerable.

I've used Suuntos for about 3 years now. I have a Vyper and it's a great recreational computer and as others mentioned can do Tech as a gauge.

I will be selling it in the next few weeks to buy a D9 so PM if you are interested.

Cheers.

KOMPRESSOR:
Naah... If you ARE getting into tech, all you really need is a bottom timer. Besides, you pay extra for the ability to have a wireless connection pressure gauge on the Vytec, which you totally don't need.

The Vyper is an excellent comp for any kind of recreational diving, and a great bottom timer for tech since the display and userfriendlyness is superior of any comp I've looked at. I'm getting my Vyper next month, after next pay day...

There's nothing WRONG with the Vytec. I simply see no need to pay the extra money, which is considerable.

I have been using Vyper for ?? years (crs), it is extremely conservative, but as mentioned excellent display.
For tech diving (currently only using two gasses), I leave it in comp mode eventhough I follow my tables. Due to use of O2 for deco, it is violated after first dive, but it still acts as a bottom timer (gauge mode) after that.
If you do trimix, Vytec still doesn't calc He, so you probably won't use it for that anyway.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom