Wings: How big is too big?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Richeod

Reaction score
I live in the Marshall Islands and dive with a .5 mil wet suit and a single Al80. In this configuration I use 8-10 lbs of lead. I am buying a SST backplate and STA. I figure this will make me close to neutral without any additional weight. I was thinking of getting a 27 lb Pioneer wing but was told by the dealer that I should get a 36 as it would be more versitile. Any chance this would be too big or would this indeed be a better choice.

I also would like to move to doubles soon. Again I would probably be using AL80's but may want to go to 95's or 104's if I dive in other locations. Is the 40 lb. okay or better to get a 55? I just don't want the extra drag if it isn't necessary. Will I even be able to tell the difference?

Thanks

If you are wearing about 8 - 10 lbs of weight now, and get a SS bp then you'll only have 2 - 4 lbs of ditchable weight. Have you thought about going with an Al bp? I have an Al bp, Halcyon 27# pioneer wing, and dive with either a single steel 85 or single Al 80, and wear 8lbs of weight on a belt. I couldn't be happier with this set up.

I have used double Al80's and used a 45lb wing (10lbs of weight on a belt). I believe that's what my friends used when diving the cenotes in Mexico. I had tried it with the old Halcyon 55# wing and felt like it was too big for the double 80's. I also dive double LP steel 85's with the 45lb wing (no weight in fresh water).

Remember if you dive steel doubles in the ocean with a wetsuit then you won't have any redundant bouyancy like you would with a drysuit in case your wing fails. You might just want to stick with the the double Al tanks.

Originally posted by Richeod
I live in the Marshall Islands and dive with a .5 mil wet suit and a single Al80. In this configuration I use 8-10 lbs of lead. I am buying a SST backplate and STA. I figure this will make me close to neutral without any additional weight. I was thinking of getting a 27 lb Pioneer wing but was told by the dealer that I should get a 36 as it would be more versitile. Any chance this would be too big or would this indeed be a better choice.

I also would like to move to doubles soon. Again I would probably be using AL80's but may want to go to 95's or 104's if I dive in other locations. Is the 40 lb. okay or better to get a 55? I just don't want the extra drag if it isn't necessary. Will I even be able to tell the difference?

Thanks

It depends on your system and you can calculate pretty accurately how much weight you need.
remember, you use lead to offset the bouyancy of your exposure prtotection and we use a BC to float the air in our tanks.

suppose you need 30# to be neutral with an empty cylinder.
say you use a SS backplate and a tnak that is -2 negative when empty. I use a Pro 6 cannister light that is -2# negative.
so we have

-6 pounds for backplate
-2 pound for the cylinder
-2 pounds for the light

that is -10# negative before adding weight, so we need an additional 20#, where to put it? You can put it on a weightbelt which is fine, no problem. If however you were to put it in/on your tank or BC your BC would have to float the original 30# plus the weight of the air in the cylinder which can be as much as 5-7# so in this case you can see that a 27# wing for example will not float your rig if you were to take it off, not good.

you have to do above math for your setup and you will rather easily find out what lift you will need. Too much lift is not good just as too little lift is bad.

dont use steel doubles in a wet suit, stick with aluminium

Back
Top Bottom