YEEHAW! Large critters everywhere!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

neil

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
I'm a virgin no longer! Yesterday I saw my first Giant Black Sea Bass (stereolepis gigas). After living in California for 7 years I finally saw one. There aren't that many things in local waters bigger than me, but this is one. 350 lbs. of behemoth bass! Saw two, or maybe the same one twice. Even better, I had 2 students with me. Should of heard me screaming through the regulator!
But wait, there's more! Last Wednesday I went whale watching with friends from the old country (NYC), and we saw about 20 blue (yes I said BLUE) whales! YEEHAW!
Thanks for sharing,
Neil

I got to see a number of them on my first dive in Catalina Isle. They were a spectacular sight to see hanging in amongst the kelp. It was deffinately an unexpected and very welcomed surprise for that dive.

Are they ill tempered sea bass?

Sorry, couldnt resist!!

Mark

Originally posted by Zept
Giant sea bass (slow site, be patient). Sounds like they're pretty rare. How deep were you?
Blue whales? I'm seriously jealous...
Z

I was in 25 feet of water at Anacapa Island in the game reserve at Cathedral Cove.

Neil

I too saw sea bass off of Anacapa the last time I was there. What boat did you dive? Where did you see the blue whale? Very exciting!

JAW,
I was on the Spectre. The blue whales were off the west end of Santa Cruz. Apparently they like this spot due to the abundance of food.

Ranz,
It was awesome! The boat got very close to many of them, and they are humongous.

Neil

Back
Top Bottom