dive log software

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rufous

Registered
Reaction score
I am planning to buy my first dive computer. I am looking at either the Aeris Atmos II or the Oceanic Versa Pro 2 or the Tusa IQ 700. I want to also buy and use the PC cable and software so I can download my dives to my home computer. I have heard that the software for the Aeris and Oceanic are lousy with bugs, errors and just hard to use. Is this still the case or have they fixed the problems? I think I would happily buy the Oceanic Versa Pro 2 because I feel it would meet my needs as a dive computer but if the Tusa software for logging dives on my home computer is much better then I would likely spend the extra money to get the Tusa.

Also will I need any particular programs (such as Excel or Access) on my computer in order to run any of these dive log programs? I sure hope some of you can help me figure this out, Rufous.

You shouldn't need any other application to run any of these. I'm not familiar with the computers you listed and how buggy their software may be, but they should all be self-contained.

Hi Rufous

You shouldn't make your decision because of the logbook software of the dive computer. You should look which computer fits best to you and if the computer has an interface option. If you want a better software than the original software you should consider to buy a third party software like Scubase or my Diving Log.

Also will I need any particular programs (such as Excel or Access) on my computer in order to run any of these dive log programs?

You don't need any further software to run the dive computer interface software or any 3rd party software.

Best regards,
Sven

rufous:
I am planning to buy my first dive computer. I am looking at either the Aeris Atmos II or the Oceanic Versa Pro 2 or the Tusa IQ 700. I want to also buy and use the PC cable and software so I can download my dives to my home computer. I have heard that the software for the Aeris and Oceanic are lousy with bugs, errors and just hard to use. Is this still the case or have they fixed the problems? I think I would happily buy the Oceanic Versa Pro 2 because I feel it would meet my needs as a dive computer but if the Tusa software for logging dives on my home computer is much better then I would likely spend the extra money to get the Tusa.

Also will I need any particular programs (such as Excel or Access) on my computer in order to run any of these dive log programs? I sure hope some of you can help me figure this out, Rufous.

The Oceanic SW is self contained, mostly. For a while there was an issue that it required a version of Shockwave you could no longer get, but that is fixed with the version you can download from the web. The software is not particularly powerful or elegant (I could do better with a couple of weeks work), but it does allow export to a CSV file which you can then import into anything else.

As per others, don't buy based on the SW.

As I said I could be happy with either the Oceanic Versa Pro or the Tusa IQ 700 as far as diving goes. Another aspect though on which to base my buying decision is which has the best software for the dive log. So if the Tusa is much better (better graphics, easier to use and less bugs in it) then that would clearly sway my decision toward the Tusa despite the higher cost. But I do not know if the Tusa is any better which is why I am asking this board. Thanks, Rufous.

Aeris dive computer software atmos pro Question:

I have the Aeris Atmos Pro dive computer. I bought it many years ago but it still works great. I used to enjoy using the Dive computer to home PC feature, Id download all my dives. The software was only compatible with windows 95 & 98. Today I have a new PC with windows xp. Id like to utilize that feature again. Does anyone know if and where I could get the updated window xp compatible software? Or am I pretty much done with that feature on this old Aeris DC?

Thanks,

scubaphillip

scubaPhillip:
Aeris dive computer software atmos pro Question:

I have the Aeris Atmos Pro dive computer. I bought it many years ago but it still works great. I used to enjoy using the Dive computer to home PC feature, Id download all my dives. The software was only compatible with windows 95 & 98. Today I have a new PC with windows xp. Id like to utilize that feature again. Does anyone know if and where I could get the updated window xp compatible software? Or am I pretty much done with that feature on this old Aeris DC?

Thanks,

scubaphillip
Ask this in the Oceanic forum (Oceanic and Aeris is the same company) and you might get a definitive answer.

My guess would be you can download and use the current version of the software from their website, and it will be backwards-compatible with older computers. That's the way it normally works, at least.

rufous:

I would not chose a dive computer by what software comes with it.
Forget about the software to start with and chose the dive computer that meets your needs.
Once you have a dive computer thats it you have what you got.
Software on the other hand changes from day to day, what seems good for one computer to day may seem inferior tomorow.
There are more and more alternatives to the maufacturers sofware as time gose on.
I chose the Oceanic Pro Plus 2 becouse my eyes are bad and did not want to be taking a magnifing glass with me on each dive:D . the software that came with it didn't do what I wanted it to do so I wrote my own.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom