What kind of valve in Egypt?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

claplant

Registered
Reaction score
I'm wondering what kind of valve most of the dive operators are using I Egypt. Will I have to install a DIN adaptor?

Thank you

Most Dive operators use DIN valves that are pre fitted with the INT adaptor (screws into the DIN fitting to take a yoke type reg). The boat normally has the alan key on board to remove the adaptor if you want to use DIN.

Depends on where in Egypt and where most of their customers come from. In Dahab most of the divecentres catering for an international backpackers scene, most tanks seem to have INT valves, those centres that cater mainly to European divers seem to have more DIN tanks. Bot both will definetely be available, so don't worry about an adapter.

So if I understand right, I won't have any problem without a din adaptor.

Thanks

claplant:

Thanks

Where, exactly, are you going? Do you already know which operator you'll be using?

I haven't been too many places in Egypt but from what I've seen both types of valves are readily available.

R..

I don't know yet where we will go, probably more Dahab then Sharm, I'm also verry interested by the Brothers islands... Usually I like to select the dive operation on site, after a visiting a few of them.

You shouldn't have a problem using your DIN regs – most dive centres carry both kinds of cylinder valve.

If you are going to Dahab, you'll be diving sites like the Blue Hole and The Canyon, which are pretty spectacular sites, but if you want to do The Brothers, you'll have to hop on a liveaboard out of Hurghada. Well worth it though – those two pinnacles are among the best dives sites in the world.

Mark

claplant:
Shouldn't have any problem.

I assume you use an INT/yoke 1st stage. What I'd do if I were you is see if I can find an insert adapter that you can bring with you (should be about $10, if you can find one), and a corresponding hex wrench. Those adapters (and their two o-rings each) take a lot of punishment, and it's good to have one you know you can count on... and hex wrenches can get lost real easily on a boat.

At least bring a handful of o-rings; tough to guess what size you'd need, though -- I'm not sure they're all the standard yoke-valve size.

--Marek

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom