Double Doubles?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tchil01

Reaction score
I've started my wish list for things that I want to get over the winter. One of my goals is to move up to doubles. I've noticed on my last couple of dives that the DM's and the boat captians who have doubles have two sets of BP/ Wings. The only things that they have to change over between dives in their Regs, computers, etc and they are good to go. Are they just divers who have been diving forever (the captian's nitorx card from Billy Deans is #97) or is this the normal setup?

Thanks
Ty

Some folks have multiple setups, generally though it's for different tank types (i.e. smaller wing, SS plate for aluminum tanks). I've not seen anyone actually carry two of the same setup along on dives. Obviously that doesn't mean folks don't do. It would make life easier but obviously a good deal of initial expense.

Tom

I use two wings, one for a single tank and one for doubles. I have two bp/harness, one for a dry suit and one for a wet suit. The second bp/harness is for convenience so I don't have to readjust the harness all the time. I wouldn't bother with a second bp, all else being equal. It only takes a second to move the bp/wing to another set of tanks.

Mate the wing and backplate for the application, but the effort of keeping up with and loading a whole additional set is unwarranted in my experience. The time savings is trivial even with second set including regs and backup lights etc. Save your money for different wings and a alum or stainless for another application. Note many have two plates one for drysuit and one for wetsuit diving.

Do you really need to bring two sets of doubles?

Originally posted by MikeFerrara
I use two wings, one for a single tank and one for doubles. I have two bp/harness, one for a dry suit and one for a wet suit. The second bp/harness is for convenience so I don't have to readjust the harness all the time. I wouldn't bother with a second bp, all else being equal. It only takes a second to move the bp/wing to another set of tanks.

I have two sets of wings, one for twins (55lb) and one for singles (27lb).

I do know people who have two (or more) sets of doubles. This is mainly because they dive trimix and they often don't get back to harbour in time to get fills if they are diving Saturday and Sunday.

I also know people who have a set of twin 12L cylinders for the morning dive and twin 7s for the afternoon. I'm thinking of going this way, as I like the way twin 7s behave in the water. I'm also starting to extend my bottom times on the first dive of the day, which makes the second a touch tight on gas with twin 12s.

HTH

Chris

2 sets are nice in case you have some trimix in your tanks and you get blown off the wrecksite and just need some air or nitrox for a shallower shore dive you won't have to waste your mix:(

Len

I am not against bring two sets of doubles where warranted. Just the two sets of entire gear. That being said, I believe if you are going to dive two sets of doubles they should be the same size (that way you are not changing your base rig).

Alternately, to avoid the flack you could get from some captains for two sets of doubles, simply bring a juicey stage filled with bottom mix for your first dive or for a contengency bottle for getting blown out with a shallower MOD. You can still wear your doubles with 18/35 on the 100 ft wreck dive and carry a stage bottle of higher grade nitrox. Keep your back in one piece and the captain happy. Alternate options to safely accomplishing your objective.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom