ScubaPro BCDs???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mtdivegirl

Contributor
Reaction score
I have been looking around at BCD's and I was really comfortable with the Scubapro BCD i used during my OW course. However, that particular design was discontinued, go figure. I dont like chest straps.. I have noticed that in the UK scubapro offers a Glide1000...no chest strap, but stateside all their BCD's appear to have a chest strap..
any suggestions from anyone? (and i have no loyalty to any brand so any suggestions are welcome)

I use the Scubapro Classic Sport. I like it better than the Classis because it is more streamlined. I haven't connected the chest strap in almost 20 years on any BC. It serves no purpose other than to let the BC squeeze you.

Why do some call BC's BCD's?

Why do some call BC's BCD's?

I guess it all depended on whether you were taught that they are Buoyancy Compensators or Buoyancy Compensator Devices.

Hey, it could be worse... the Brits call them Stab (Stability) Jackets.
:confused:

~SubMariner~

I use a Scubapro "Glide PLus" and it has the strap, sometimes I will hook it and sometimes not. There is no reason why you can't get the one you like and wear it with out it hook. You could even get the Dive shop to remove it more than likely.

Rich :mean:

I have a Scubapro Accent BC. It is VERY comfortable and is made well. The BC works great in filling and dumping of air. Just wish it had more D rings on it. But, I should relly comnplain about it, the BC is wondeful besides that.

I bought this BC about a year ago and it was a current model at the time. It doesn't have chest straps. This model was made for the U.S. market and you can probaly find some in some LDS here at a cheap price because ScubaPro introduced a new model this year called the Glide series.

I think that you may get some discussion about the function of SP jacket style BC’s (vs. BP/wings, etc,.) but I don’t think anyone would argue about the quality of SP products, it's great.
smb1014 is correct about the Accent, look for dealer new/old stock, shops selling their rental equipment (SP supposedly encourages their dealers to update their rental gear regularly), and Ebay. I got one for my son for under $200.00 on Ebay that included and Air2. I am going to have a chest strap sewn on his. Everyone has different shapes and some people like the fit with a strap, some don't! :)
Bill

I bet if you look on ebay you will find the same scubapro bc you used!!! There are a lot of scubapro bcs on all the time.
I got a brand new scubapro xl finseal for 88$ last year.
With a brand new inflator :) Just keep checking and you will find one there!!
Rick L

I have been using a "Classic" stab jacket for 20 years and have nothing but praise, this summer I also got a "Glide Plus" with the integrated weight system and it is even better. They also make the classic with integral weights too, and even if you can't get all the needed weight inside the poskets at least some of it is off your hips...

dkigreg,

If you got a SP "classic" 20 years ago, it was merely called a Stab jacket, not a classic and it was more like today's Classic Sport than today's Classic.

Soooooo true, it even has clip on pockets...

Back
Top Bottom