Simplest hassle free O2 analyzer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Spoon

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
In the market for a simple entry level o2 analyzer that i can bring with me on the boat. checked out the numerous manufacturers but the oxycheq keeps coming up. please let me know if their are other options worth considering. thanks

If you have some technical ability (i.e. can solder wires) the oxycheq kit is really hard to beat in price. Just about all the analyzers are the same basic circuit and just have different sensors and cases, so there isn't to much to debate about them.

i love my oxycheck,i got mine on advice from my LDS and have had it on a charter that forgot to bring thiers !! boy, was i popular on that trip !!

For about $30 I upgraded my ECII to the Expedition flow restictor and chamber which makes it a very nice unit.

I like my Oxycheq unit, EXCEPT that the case is a bit large and flimsy and the power switch can easily be turned on when you do not want it to, only a slight bump. I have had it get turned on twice on dive trips while on the boat. I always remove the battery while travelling, but somehow on the boat, it gets on without my help. The "zero" adjustment is a bit coarse as well. Overall though, it does perform well and the price was good.

DSDO

The Oxychek was fun (and inexpensive) to build and is accurate. It's a little clunky but it definitely gets the job done.

If you want to buy one off the shelf that is accurate, easy to use (one hand operation, no futzing with flow restrictors, etc) and tough as heck, the Amoxtec Analox is a great analyzer. More money but highly effective.

The oxyspy is damn easy to use and I take it with me on the boat all the time. Techdivinglimited.com has them

I've used the El-Cheapo II and the OxySpy. They both use a good oxygen cell, and should be quite adequate for almost any light to medium-duty needs. Here are the differences I've noticed:

The ECII wins hands-down in price. It's a fantastic deal, and you just need a little skill, or get a case of good beer to buy time from a friend with some skill. If anyone has issues with the switch or trim pot (zero adjustment knob) they're dead easy to replace/upgrade with cheap parts from Radio Shack or many websites.

The OxySpy is probably a more attractive, more "finished" product, and that's much of what you're paying for. The calibration is extremely easy, although often neglected by the shops where I purchase nitrox - most use OxySpys and many of the employees don't know the calibration routine... it's holding down one button for god's sake!

Where the ECII needs improvement: Aquamaster is right, get yourself a chamber or flow-through tee. If you don't use a flow restrictor, you need to be as sure as you can to use the same flow rate, or read a zero-flow nitrox-flooded chamber/tee.

Where the OxySpy needs improvement: The seal is a bit hard to form on some tank valves, and an imperfect seal resulys in air being venturi-drawn into the testinf chamber. Make sure you get a good seal against the tank!

I own a couple of 02 meters, and the Amoxtec Analox 02E11 is easy to use, nice accurate readings and very compact. My choice by far.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom