1st BC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

voodoo0ne

Reaction score
Hi,

I am about to buy my 1st BC and would like some advice....

I have narrowed it down to these:
- Mares Vector 1000
- Mares Vector Chrome
- Scubapro Glide 1000

Any advice (again please don't suggest any other brands as Ireland hasn't really got the best selection of gear - plus you'll only confuse me!!)

Thanks in advance.

if you have tried on all of the ones you mentioned then you should know which is most comfortable. Scubapro Glide1000 isnt available stateside (at least not from what I have found) and that is the BCD I am looking into buying.
From what I have seen with everyone talking about BCD's is that no one can tell you what will work best for you they can just tell you their opinions on what has worked best for them.
Best of luck to you in your search and I hope you can actually try these out before you buy them.

No I haven't tried any of them. I don't think any dive shop would let me test one out either (especially as I'd be buying on the net!)

If you're looking for the Glide 1000 try www.scubastore.com - best price I've found -> €300 around $300

I dunno how that compares to US prices but its over €100 less than Irish prices!

You're right. Ireland doesn't have a SeaQuest distributor listed or I'd suggest you look at a ProQD+.

Check out the prices at Simplyscuba.

VoodooOne,

I noticed you also posted a question re: you first reg. I would suggest that if you decide on ScubaPro (for example) for your BC that you also choose the same brand for your Reg. This is of course only if you are convinced that it is one you would buy anyways.
The reson for this is that it appears that you do not have a large selection in your area. Should you need to service or repair your equipment you won have to travel from shop to shop. One Shop that supplies your "chosen brand" would be able to repair both.

But that's just my opinion,.....

-Crispy

Thanks, that seems like good advice. I probably will do that.

Now to chose...... Scubapro or Mares?

but then again I have a Glide PLus and enjoy diving with it very much. It fits very good and has the intergrated weight system... It is just great......

Rich :mean:

I have not used any of these, but :

Scubapro has a great reputation for all of its equipment

I prefer simple gear. You did not mention if u would be diving at home or tropically, but unless the conditions require some fancy features, I believe that newer divers do better with the simplest gear possible. My 1st BC was quite complicated, & I had way too much to think about while diving in it. I felt better the first day I used my boring, pared-down jacket style BC

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom