What would you recommend for wings?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Spectre

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I've been digging through the wings threads and I've not see anything leap out that seems to fit with the questions I have. I know it's similar to other questions, so if there is answers somewhere, please feel free to point me in the right direction.

Here's my situation:

I'm guessing I'm going to need two wings eventually, but I'm hoping to not end up needing 3.

My current setups:
- single AL80, 2 piece 7 mm, 28 lbs
- single AL80, 1 piece 3 mm, 14 lbs [can probably drop more but
didn't play].

My future setup would add:
- double steels, drysuit, ?? lbs
- double steels in 1 piece 3mm

So I'm looking for a wings setup that would work ideally with single AL80 + 2piece 7mm or drysuit, _and_ double steels in 1 piece 3mm [perhaps double ALs depending on how the weighting
works out].

I'm figuring one set of wings isn't going to be able to span the gambit from 3mm with single AL80 up to double steels in a drysuit, but I'm hoping to find wings that will work for me now, but be able to handle doubles on the 1 piece 3mm.

I'm not sure I vocalized a good description of my 'gambit', but in case I actually did... what would people recommend?

Do you own or rent the Al tank? If you own it, get a steel and drop some pounds off your belt.

I take it from your post that you're only doing singles at the moment (like me) - so buy a wing for singles. Steel doubles can run around the $800-$1000 mark, say you splashed out and bought a Halcyon Explorer wing for $338, just make that $338 part of the equation of the cost of doubles (along with another first stage, and maybe new hoses). Buy the single wing now, and you'll have a wing designed for what you're diving now, and when you decide to get doubles, the doubles wing will be about a quarter of the total investment. Spend that money then. Double wings are wide compared to single wings, and from what I've heard, flap around in the breeze behind you presenting unneccessary drag.

Originally posted by bengiddins
Do you own or rent the Al tank? If you own it, get a steel and drop some pounds off your belt.

Right now the choice is BP/Wings or Steel tanks... Maybe next quarter I can get the tanks, but I'm still undecided about tanks at this point [100s, 120s, O2 clean... too much to think about!]

I'm figuring I'm going to need new wings when I get the doubles anyway...expecially if I follow the course towards stage bottle deco diving. However that wing will most likely be way to big for warm water diving in my 3mm... so I'm wondering if I can get a wing now that will cover my singles, and doubles in my 3mm.

Or maybe I'm just overthinking everything! :)

Easy - get the backplate/wings :)

If you've decided you'll need a "proper" doubles wing for doubles diving, don't try and get something now that will fulfill both singles and doubles - when you do end up getting a doubles wing, you'll probably end up with an oversized wing for singles diving.

Don't be too frightened though of having too large wings for your 3mm doubles diving - you're in Boston, right? So your "3mm doubles" diving is going to be in Florida or somewhere just as sunny? I'm guessing that's not going to end up being a major percentage of your diving - get what's going to be the best suited equipment for where you usually dive, and put up with the somewhat oversized wings for vacation doubles diving.

The Dive-Rite Rec wing will work for both. I'm diving singles with this wing( Drysuit & wetsuits). I have a freind who dives double 95's with this wing.
You mentioned doubles with 3mm. (if you plan on steel doubles)This wing can also be gotten with dual bladders (dir divers will disagree with dual bladders).

I plan on using the same wing when I double up my 104's.

check out Dive-Rite

look at the page that tells what wing works best for different kinds of diving.

eventually I plan on getting the smaller Travel wing for singles and vacation diving.

Originally posted by Tavi
The Dive-Rite Rec wing will work for both. I'm diving singles with this wing( Drysuit & wetsuits). I have a freind who dives double 95's with this wing.

Thanks. I had been looking at the Rec and Trek wings, and I'm leaning closer to the Trek wing at the moment... [but that changes hourly!].

Hey spectre you can find used steels at about 1/4 the price of new ones!!! As long as you have them checked out they last
for many many years!! (I have 2 sets 3000lb 95s and 2200 72s
that are from the early 70s)My favorite line to hear is: I WAS A DIVER!!! First thing I ask is you still got your stuff want to sell your tanks hehe.

Rick L

I paid $300 for 3yr old OMS lp98 doubles and $400 for Divers Supply lp95s with Dive-rite manifold.Seems not everyone makes it all the way thru cave class without reservations.As for bladders I love Halcyons.My big_ss Sea Elite/Dive-Rites are for heavy doubles with stages only.Everything else gets a more suitable smaller wing.Technical diving ain't for the faint of wallet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom