Difference between 2000 Ranger and current?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

blitzpb

Registered
Reaction score
Um yeah, what he said.

Have they, Zeagle, had any improvements in the Ranger since 2000?

Thanks

I don't know anything about the 2000 Ranger... but I do know that the Ranger BC that I just purchased has all the bells and whistles that are available as options on the standard Ranger, plus a few other features.

I purchased the new Zeagle Ranger Limited. I had intended to purchase the standard Ranger, but Zeagle announced the limited edition BCD at the same time that I was looking to purchase. The additional features were appealing to me for the recreational diving that I intend to do. Many tech divers here will recommend a BP/Wing configuration. It's just up to you to decide what would work best for the type of diving you expect to do.

The Ranger works great for the beach and boat dives that I primarily take part in. Follow the link above for manufacturer info on the Ranger LE. The info there will highlight the features and may make it easier for you to see what differences there are between the new Rangers and those of '00.

If it still has that dumb rip-cord weight release system, I'd still rather dive in my swedish army parka with a pocket fulla tchatchkies! I had a Ranger form 1999, & the damn thing drove me nuts. If they have found a way to keep it from trapping air & resolved the weight release problem, I'm sure it's a very sexy accesory.

AC,

I have seen you post a similar post elsewhere and I am wondering just exactly what the problems were? Just how did the weights get released? I have a Ranger that I have dove for quite some time and never had any trouble out of it. I have no problems getting it to vent properly and have never had to weights to release....matter of fact, they are still factory rigged after 3 years of diving.

I haven't had any problems with the Ripcord weight system either. I actually think it is more secure than the velcro weight systems. The only thing I don't like is that I have to load the weights before I put on the BC and most of the velcro weight systems allow you to put the weights in once you have the BC on. The reason is because the weight pockets are back so far, I can actually get them out with the BC still on but putting them in is extremely difficult if not impossible. I struggled with the wings trapping air on my first five dives or so with it but after that I had no problems. Also, I use the rear pull dump mostly and never use the inflator pull dump which I think is completely unnecesssary. All in all I think the Ranger is one of the better BC's out there. Would I rather have a BP/Wings?...probably, and I'm thinking about it for next years purchase but that's only if I decide not to get a dry suit.:)

Art.Chick,

I wonder about the problem you had with the ripcord weights as well. If there is a design flaw, then I'd like to know about it. Although my Ranger is fairly new, I now have about 20 dives on it. The system has worked very well for me and I like the integration (particularly since you have the option to use it or not).

This system is very similar to the ripcord systems used by parachutists, which suggests it is fairly reliable. I believe it is superior to velcro because it is less likely to snag or lose its ability to securely close as it ages or picks up debris from some of the nasty water I frequent.

I agree with the idea that adding and removing weights is a bit of a pain with the rig "on", but I use the removeable weight pockets and that solves a lot of the problem.

I still wish it had a solid backplate, especially because I miss the ability to easily doff and don the system in the water that I had with my trusty AT-PAC. But I do think it is a far superior system to the AT-PAC, which had some well known "issues" with the inflator and the hollow backplate/weight system.

On the Ranger, with the the weights mounted back on the cumberbund, it is difficult to "flip" the system overhead and swim into it while in the water. The darn weights act as a keel, tending to flip the unit upright (tank up) in the water while you are still trying to put your arms through the harness.

In water mounting is not impossible, but difficult, which takes away one of the advantages of weight integration. I also agree that it seemed to trap a bit of air on my first dives with it, requiring about 2-3lbs more weight than normal, but for some reason, I've been able to drop that weight back off the rig and haven't noticed the air trapping problem since. Go figure.

For me, when I'm diving a 7mm, the ability to carry some weight in the system and same added weight on a belt is a big convenience. The underwater trim is easy to adjust for AL80's or steel 104's and I think the whole unit is incredibly well balanced. With the weight integration, the whole system feels "linked" and I now longer have to constantly adjust my weight belt or check the buckle (as for problems: I've never had a problem with the Ranger or the AT PAC, but I've had a couple of problems with weight belts. On my last dive with my old system....I did a giant stride off the boat at night and in rough water. Because the current was strong, I had to quickly grab my Nikonos off the equpment line and swim hard to the sideline. As I descended to get below the waves, I was thrown over the sideline. Suddenly, I felt very bouyant. The sideline had snagged my buckle and released my weight belt. Fortunately, it landed right across the sideline, dragging it down with me holding on. I quickly grabbed the belt, clipped my camera to the line and "rolled" into the belt again. During most the dive I had to constantly check the belt, because, I later learned, the hinge pin to the buckle had sheared, which is why the line was able to snag it.)

I agree that weight intergrated systems aren't perfect and there are valid reasons some folks, doing particular types of diving, might be better off with another type of system. But for me, the Ranger is just what I need. I'm very happy with it.

Btw, I saw a new model Ranger at SeaSpace in Houston, but the only difference I recall is that they no longer use the cheesy military "Ranger" emblem on the rig. I caught some grief for that Ranger patch from some local Navy UDT divers in Panama City on my last trip.

The Ranger as many of the Zeagle products have had changes. The new Ranger has a different waist band, one with a pocket, two new lower back "d" rings and a more adjustable harness.It also has two rear dump valves. If you have problems with the weight system or the BCD's ability to dump air, Then I would suggest that you have the BCD sized correctly and if needed use the weight pockets to remove or install your weights. The dump on the BCD works fine if you are in the correct scuba position or completely verticle. The Zeagle BCD can be used with or without a BP, I use a Zeagle Tech with a BP for all my tek diving, cave or extended deep range. My tech has a 130lb lift and is very comfortable regardless of what wet/drysuit I am wearing. I have used other BP/wing BCD and have found the harness of Zeagle to be much easier to adjust when U/W. If Zeagle has fault with any of its equipment that I would have to say they need better fin design. If you are in doubt regarding to purchase a Zeagle than consider this - They have life time warranty to the original owner on all their equipment and their BCD's have always scored high on consumer lists

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom