Treacherous Waters: Kingston's Shipwrecks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba446

Reaction score
Hi,
I just received the above book by Cris Kohl - however, the book does not give any info, such as GPS coordinates or maps or actual locations of these shipwrecks.

What are folks using in conjunction wih this book to FIND these dives?

???????

You had gotten The Great Lakes Diving Guide by Cris Kohl.

It lists both Loran and GPS coordinates.
However, even GPS will only put you close (unless your lucky). The mooring was gone on a wreck we dove last weekend in Lake Erie. One of the divers had to "find" the wreck. The captian said , according to GPS we were on top of it. The wreck was actually about 50' away. ( turned out that the mooring wasn't gone, it was underwater, The lake levels must have risen since it was set.)

I haven't used any of the coordinates in the book to FIND any wrecks yet. If I had my own boat I might try.

Tavi,
Thats my point - we WILL have our own baot some of the time, especially in A-Bay.

I got the Treacherous Water guidebook because thats what folks on this message board said I needed..so I got it - but THAT books has NO GPS or Loran info.

PS Whats Loran info anyways? I am only familiar with GPS.

Guess I have to go out and get yet ANOTHER book - per your suggestion?

BIG QUESTION - Our camp is more in the Alex Bay area - whats THERE to dive and is there any BOOKS, MAPS, etc. on THAT area?

Loran was the electronic method of navigation before GPS. It works by measuring the time difference between two signals coming from different radio towers. It is not as accurate as GPS and it's accuracy varies from one location to another. In the Gulf of Mexico, for example, it is almost as accurate as GPS, while in the Keys it will get you within about 100 yds. Almost noone uses Loran anymore since GPS has become so inexpensive and is a far superior system.

OK,
Thanks...and this is great since we obviously don't have any Loran gear on our boat!

:)

So for my next question, how does one GET ahold of all of these GPS coordinates for these Great Lakes Dives?

Who would know them - other than charters - which may or may not want to be giving them out...(job security?)

Is there like a catalog or system to find these out?

Back
Top Bottom