Red Sea Liveaboards

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ehicks

New
Reaction score
I have been to Sharm a couple of times but am planning to go back to the Red Sea to do a liveaboard. Can anyone recommend where to go that is reasonably priced - luxury type boats are not what I'm looking for but just loads of good diving with my brother. Maybe Hurghada might be better? The last time I went to Sharm, it was becoming a bit too touristy for me. Any suggestions welcome. Thanks.

Hello,
I believe you can get better rates from Hurghada as Sharm's prices are really high.
Smaller dive centers will give you better rates but you should make sure you see pictures of the boat and do not go for the lowest prices.

Contact Moody he is my instructor he's been living in Sharm for 13 years he arranges all the logistics for me and quite reasonable price.
divemoody@hotmail.com

He might help you i duno if they offer liveaboard but he i think he can guide u

ehicks:
I have been to Sharm a couple of times but am planning to go back to the Red Sea to do a liveaboard. Can anyone recommend where to go that is reasonably priced - luxury type boats are not what I'm looking for but just loads of good diving with my brother. Maybe Hurghada might be better? The last time I went to Sharm, it was becoming a bit too touristy for me. Any suggestions welcome. Thanks.

As aways it depends what kind of diving you want. I like warm water, great vis, beautiful coral walls, big fish and air conditioning in my cabin. I like a knowledgable guide, good food and a safe boat. I like nitrox on board, space to read my book and a crew to take my fins off.

Personally therefore, I think the southern Itineraries out of Marsa Galib take some beating.

Not sure of your nationality but obviously the mix of people on the boat is important. If you are a Brit then you may not want a boat full of Germans and if you are German you may not appreciate the Italian way of diving.

Boats catering for primarily British divers are best with either Tony Backhurst or Regal. If you go with Tony backhurst www.scuba.co.uk then I would avoid the boats in the Sea Serpent range as I have had poor guiding experiece on the last on (Grand Sea Serpent) although the boat itself was superb. The Tornado fleet - Hurricane, Cyclone etc are reputed to be better guided and the boats are great.

As far as itineraries are concerned the The Brothers, Deadalus, Elphinstone and the deep south around St Johns can be superb. The Brothers in particular is a special site and can be dived for the best part of a week on it's own. One itinerary called Simply the Best does all three of the first ones above.

Prices for a week including flights all food and 3 /4 dives a day range from around £850 -£1150 depending on itinerary and time of year. Right now they are at the lower end.

All in all, if I had to choose I would go on Hurricane doing Simply the Best. A good second would be one of the new Emperor boats (Infinity, Elite etc) with Regal on a similar route.

Marsa Ghalib now has direct flights and the boats are moored ten minutes from the small but impressive airport.

Hope that helps. PM me if you want to know more.

Cheers

mattwave, I'm with you . . . when and if I get to the Red Sea, I want to dive with the Red Sea Explorer people. Just the incredible joy you see in their videos tells me they would be great people to do a liveaboard with.

You can do a northern wreck safari out of Hurghada if you want a metal fix – will get to do the wrecks on Abu Nuhas, Thistlegorm, Dunraven and my favourite wreck in the Red Sea, the Rosalie Moller.

If you want some shark action, walls and currents, then you could do The Brothers, Daedalous and Elphinstone out of Hurghada.

If you really want to see some of the best Egypt's Red Sea has to offer, then the above advice about going out of Marsa Ghalib is sound – you can reach Fury Shoals, Zabargad, Rocky Island, etc, from here, as well as doing the major itineraries hitting Brother, Daedalous, etc.

These days you can get on a decent boat with air-con cabins, etc, for £600 or so for a northern and £750-800 plus for a southern, so they make sense money-wise.

Whichever you do, you will have a blast.

Mark

Back
Top Bottom