Diverite gusset control wings???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MASS-Diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm plaing on purchasing a DIVERITE Transpac II from my local dealer (they don't carry any bp setups) and I want to get a setup they can help me with and stand by.

Anyways, I saw that the DIVERITE wings have gusset control elastics around them: How bad is this? It this like the "bungied wings of death" I'm always hearing about? Will my DIR friends shun me?

Anyone diving with these wings (the rec ones)?

Thanks

They sell DiveRite, yet they can not get a BP setup? DiveRite makes backplates, and sells DIR harness kits. :confused:

Anyway, as for the gusset control cords, yes you will be shunned! :D

If I was to get a wing by DiveRite, it would be the Classic Wing. I do not like the gusset cords. If you are doing wreck penetrations, they can cause an entanglement hazard. While they are different from BWOD, they still are less than optimal IMO. I do not see any need for them.

However, these are simply my opinions from my experiences. Some people LOVE these wings.

Originally posted by JamesK
They sell DiveRite, yet they can not get a BP setup? DiveRite makes backplates, and sells DIR harness kits. :confused:
I do not like the gusset cords. If you are doing wreck penetrations, they can cause an entanglement hazard.

I just went and looked at my Dive-Rite Rec wing, which is currently mounted on a FredT heavy Backplate with STA.

It seems to me that it would be very, very unlikely for the gusset control cord to get caught on anything (but who knows when Murphy will show up) :rolleyes:. I like my rec wing.

I agree with James. If your LDS can get a Transpac II, they can get a Dive-Rite BP/harness. Of coarse they'd probably make a lot more $$ on the Transpac! :wink:

If your freinds are DIR they'll probably shun you for your TPII harness as much as they would a Rec Wing.

If they're really freinds, why don't they help you with, where to get things and how to get set up??

Hi Guys, thanks for the advice,

To answer your questions, I could get the DIVERITE bp, but, since I dive with a drysuit and lots of underwear, I carry lots of weight and I don't want to put it all on a belt (I dive with over 30lbs sometimes), I want some of it in a pocket, plus I don't like the single tank adapter diverite makes, and I do alot of diving with my single 120hps (and a 40pony) so I want a rig that will work for singles (that's also why I don't want the classic wings).

I do penetration dives, so that elastic does scare me a bit for that reason.

My dives buddies dive with Halycon rigs that they ordered online, took about 2 months plus to come, they were not pleased with the service, I don't want to order from 2 guys working out of their garage.

Thanks for the insight, I just wish those wings didn't have those darn bands. :confused:

Hi Tavi,

Have you done this (or know someone who has)?

No, I haven't.
Somewhere on the boards I read about removing cords, but I believe they were talking about the OMS Bungies.
I like my rec wing just the way it is (with the cord).
I don't see where it would hurt anything to remove the cord.

The cord is what Dive Rite claims makes the wings acceptable with singles. Removing it would make it where it would taco around a single takn. The gusset cords are meant to prevent this when diving singles, becasue you are supposed to tighten them up.

I would suggest getting two wings. One made for singles, like the travel wing, and one made for doubles, like the classic.

Sorry to hear about your friend's negative experiences. If their transaction was the only drawback and you're interested in a Halcyon setup, send me a PM and I can give you the info on a shop I bought my rig from that gave me a great deal, and had the gear to me inside of a week.

The Halcyon Pioneer wings work great for singles with no need for a Single Tank Adapter. Good luck with whatever direction you choose to go.

Originally posted by MASS-Diver
Hi Guys, thanks for the advice,

To answer your questions, I could get the DIVERITE bp, but, since I dive with a drysuit and lots of underwear, I carry lots of weight and I don't want to put it all on a belt (I dive with over 30lbs sometimes), I want some of it in a pocket, plus I don't like the single tank adapter diverite makes, and I do alot of diving with my single 120hps (and a 40pony) so I want a rig that will work for singles (that's also why I don't want the classic wings).

I do penetration dives, so that elastic does scare me a bit for that reason.

My dives buddies dive with Halycon rigs that they ordered online, took about 2 months plus to come, they were not pleased with the service, I don't want to order from 2 guys working out of their garage.

Thanks for the insight, I just wish those wings didn't have those darn bands. :confused:

I've done quite a bit of diving with a TPII - NEVER had any snags on the REC wings.

They make a bunch of wings for the TPII - go with one without the cords if you wish. ESPECIALLY if you run doubles. I like the REC wing because I can run a single tank and the cord keeps wing from flapping around and still provides PLENTY of lift.

Then I can also strap on light doubles like twin 94's which are perfect for the REC wing.

Lastly you CAN buy more than one wing which you will sooner or later anyway.

Good Luck.... The TPII is great and SUPER COMFY

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom