PADI Peak Perfomance Buoyancy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SM Diver

Reaction score
I had posted in another thread about the problems I was having with buoyancy, and even trapped air in the BCD. This is a follow-up to share with others something that greatly helped me. I just returned a few minutes ago from taking the PADI Peak Performance Buoyancy course. By watching the videos, and spending an entire morning under water with a dive master, I now understand that my problem was not gear related, it was "me related."

The first thing that was quickly discovered is that I was not weighted properly. I had too much weight. We went through drills on how to check your weight before each dive, and then spent time at depth going through multiple drills and excercises. By the time the class was over, for the first time I had total confidence in my ability to suspend myself and maneauver as desired. It was a great feeling to have more control, and the diving experience was much more enjoyable as a result. The excercises involving breath control as a form of buoyancy compensation allowed me to swim through hoops.

Upon ascending, it was now possible to stop on a dime at each desired depth, and maintain that depth without movement.

IMH and inexperienced opinion, anyone who is just getting certified should take this course before setting out on their own. It will improve your confidence and comfort level.

Scott

Of course if you are weighted properly and learn buoyancy in your OW class, there's no reason to take this class.

The cost was $100, plus I gave the instructor a $20 gratuity.

I disagree with the statement that this course is not necessary. While I agree that I could have learned better buoyancy in OW class, the fact of the matter is that no OW class that I know of involves the drills of this PADI buoyancy class. One of the biggest challenges for new divers is perfecting buoyancy control. This class helps a lot.

I just mention it in case someone feels that they need improvement in buoyancy. If you perfected it in your OW class, than that's great.

Scott,

Thanks for your post...

Could you share with us some of the exercises that you performed, that were unique to this class? They may be useful to others who wish to test their own buoyancy skills.

Paul

Originally posted by Walter
Of course if you are weighted properly and learn buoyancy in your OW class, there's no reason to take this class.
But wouldn't you agree that in most cases this is not a high priority skill taught to new divers....although IMHO is is probably the most (or close to the #1) skill involved in diving......by mastering (if ever possible to master) bouyancy it makes the rest of the skills easier...eg navigation, photography .......

Galaspie: The class started with my description to the instructor about my biggest concerns and problems with buoyancy. I then watch the PADI vhs tape that goes with the speciality course. My instructor then swithed out my 4# weights for 2# weights, in order to make more fine tune adjustments.

We got to the grotto, at which time weights were added for the first time to the rear pockets in my BC. I learned a lot for the first time about aluminum vs. steel tanks, and how to factor that into your assessment of weights. Next, we practiced assessment of weights, which was covered in OW class, but not in such detail. Next, the instructor made sure I was trimmed out right.

As far as the drills, we started with some of the typical drills from OW class. Hovering while prone, hovering while sitting. Next, an opstacle course was set-up using a line that was attached to the four corners of the platform at 22ft. We worked on this for about 15 minutes, first watching my instructor, than doing what she did. This involved everything from going over and under lines, doing it sideways, doing it upside-down, doing it while rotating a full 360.

Next, we practiced using the dump valves. She overinflated my BC (I was able to hold onto the platform), so that I could practice using the rear lower valve. We then meandered around the grottos, going down to about 45 feet. We practiced holding still at different depths. And then, of course, we practiced fine tuning the buoyancy during the ascent back to the surface, taking an extra long safety stop at almost every new foot (10, 9, 8 ...). I think I held at three feet for two minutes before going to 2.

I thought the course was well worth the money.

I took this class last year and it did prove to be worthwile. An interesting skill was going for a dive with no fins; this demanded good bouyancy control and trim. Other skills included handstands, somersaults, collecting weights while adjusting lung volume, etc. All skills were done in open water. Sure, nothing that couldn't be done in an o/w class or with your buddy, but it was a good exercise to spend a couple of hours concentrating on this alone in a 'masterclass' atmosphere.

My fiancee and I took in Bonaire last year and it really helped. I can fly under water without fiddling with the inflator.

Sand Dollar (now Bonaire Dive and Adventure) does this course for next to nothing to encourage divers to use proper bouyancy and stay off the reef. We paid $30 US apiece, basically the cost of the PADI certification envelopes, I believe they have now gone up to $35. For anyone going to Bonaire, its a perfect way to get a very useful specialty and two great dives on Bari Reef.

Back
Top Bottom