Apex Quantum / Nitek Duo / Tusa IQ700 = good paperweight?!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jeckyll

Contributor
Reaction score
Well it must have been my turn.

After logging yesterdays dive, my computer didn't show NDL's in plan mode. I tried to put it into dive mode by wetting the contacts, but it would not enter dive mode, even once submerged in water.

Once it dried off, all numbers in the display are flashing. This unit was purchased late October 2005 and has about 20 dives on it.

I will be contacting the dive shop tomorrow.

For those of you who are planning on purchasing one of the models in the Title (they are all the same computer, made by Seiko) you might want to think twice. Please search scubaboard before buying.

Bjorn

jeckyll:
Well it must have been my turn.

After logging yesterdays dive, my computer didn't show NDL's in plan mode. I tried to put it into dive mode by wetting the contacts, but it would not enter dive mode, even once submerged in water.

Once it dried off, all numbers in the display are flashing. This unit was purchased late October 2005 and has about 20 dives on it.

I will be contacting the dive shop tomorrow.

For those of you who are planning on purchasing one of the models in the Title (they are all the same computer, made by Seiko) you might want to think twice. Please search scubaboard before buying.

Bjorn

Bjorn.

All dive computer manufacturers/distributors have the same problem at some point or another. That's why they have a warranty.
When you take it back to your dive center, there should be no questions asked with an issue like that. You should be given a new one with no issues.

I have seen many issues with different computers over the years, and I let customer's know that they are dealing with a 'computer' that is going to depth under pressure.
Sometimes problems arise and I assure them that the company behind the computer backs it up 100% if there is a problem.

Trust me, if you are going give people advise not to buy these computer's, then you should include more names of computer's.
I have owned many different computers, and have had problems with them at one time or another.

I do know that the computer's you are talking about, 'did' have an issue, and are trying to work the bugs out, however they are great computer's.

Safe diving,

tp

So far our TUSA IQ-700's are still going strong - but we still keep our NiTek3's as backups.

Toodles: Thanks for your post. I have no concernes that my shop will take care of me. And I work for a software company, so unfortunately, I know that coding mistakes can and do happen.

What does concern me, is that there does not seem to be a serious effort by the manufacturer / distributor to remove the faulty units from circulation. I guess the bean counters have decided that it's cheaper just to replace the faulty units after the fail and that the warnings in the instructions are strong enough to prevent costly lawsuits.

I read up on the units and had the same impression as you did. "Bad batch but they seem to be replacing them." Your viewpoint changes slightly when you are the one that has to deal with the faulty unit. One thing that stands out in my mind: How can I trust the replacement unit?

That is going to be the thing that bothers me from here on. Which is a shame, because when it works it's a great unit. Very easy to operate and read.

Bjorn

I believe you have posted the Apeks Quantum. So far, I saw only one post about a similar problem with the TUSA model.

I have found it annoying at best that none of the three companies (Dive Rite, Apeks, or TUSA) posted anything on their web sites about this.

My TUSA is about a year old (in my hands now anyway) but we'll see what time brings.

What's sort of odd is zero such posts about the Cressi Sub Archimede or Archimede II.

The Cressi Archimede is at least 4 years old. It was the precursor to the newer two mix variants. My Archimede is still going strong after 300 dives.

My Duo is fine as well. However, my dive buddies Duo died on her 2nd dive with it. She showed it to me after our bubble check and it was in the unset state. I gave her mine for that dive. It later spontaneously healed.

I dive the Duo and Nitek3 together. Never a problem, but I am not one for taking chances.

Peter

True - but I was speaking of the 2 mix Archimede, since I would think its production runs at Seiko would be in a more similar time frame to the three models mentioned in the thread title than the one mix Archimede - especially for the problems reported.

However, I have yet to see any reviews posted of the two mix Archimede, so posts on that model are rare to start with.

Sorry, I got lost in the nomenclature.

The 2 gas Archimede is the Archimede 2. I have no experience with it.

The Archimede 1 (or just Archimede) is positively bullet proof in my experience.

The "2" seems to be based on the same firmware as the IQ/Duo/etc. I've never had a problem with mine, but I've seen a failure during a cave dive with my own eyes.

I personally like the Duo, but I would give it a few dives before trusting it 100%.

As always it is the diver's job to have backup tables, plans, etc.

Regards,
Peter

I wasn't sure whether it was hardware or software / firmware that causes the failures - do you know the firmware is what has a fault, and if so, why it seems the early production batches seemed to be OK (relative lack of posts on the IQ-700 for its time on market), and most recent production batches seem OK, but there was a run in the middle somewhere that had problems? This is what made me wonder if it was a hardware issue with one batch of subcomponents from a supplier to Seiko perhaps.

And I agree Cressi Sub isn't consistent with nomenclature as the console mount 1 mix computer with SPG but no compass is also listed as Archimede 2 . . . maybe they could use some distinction between Arabic vs. Roman numeral used for two??? - but both on the Cressi site use the Arabic numeral while LP uses the Roman numeral for the console 1 mix version and the wrist 2 mix version??? - but the Owners' manual link shows Archimede II at the Cressi site - ???

Clear as muddy espresso grounds . . . I've even confused myself so I sympathize!

http://cressi.it/intro.php?lang=us&id_catalogo=2&id_categoria=3&id_prodotto=54&m=scheda

http://www.leisurepro.com/Catalog.aspx?op=CatDisplay&CategoryID=1985&Context=954

Got my replacement (i.e. brand new) computer on Wednesday. Took it out diving that night only to discover that I had not changed it to imperial. No big deal, dove metric.

Post dive: Computer won't change from metric. Backlight comes on periodically. Won't change to 2nd page of logged dive.

Back it goes. I dropped it off at the shop today.

That makes 2.

Maybe the 3rd time will be the charm. Wish me luck.

Bjorn

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom