Nikon D70s vs Olympus 7070

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jason Ooi

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Hi All,

I look for camera and my friend recommended Nikon D70s, but myself reconsideration which s good for long terms use and price wise, brand Olympus 7070 vs Nikon D70.:06:

Please give some professional advice

Thank in advance

Cheer
Jason

Jason -

Not sure how professional this is, but these are two very different animals and comparing them is a bit like comparing a truck and a motorcycle...both get you there but have diffferent pros and cons.

A dslr is not for everyone - they are expensive, take a while to learn and take more time for maintenance. If you aren't diving all the time it might just be that money could be better spent on diving!

On the other hand, there are lots of great things about dslrs - no shutter lag, great selection of lenses for every ocassion (although the down side is more expense, more learning curve and having to choose which lens before the dive)...

The 7070 is not my favourite option out there.

Do some searches around here and on www.wetpixel.com and www.digitaldiver.net for recent conversations on these options (and alternatives)!

Have fun shopping!

What's your budget? D70 body is going to be just a small part of overall cost of your setup. You are going to be looking at $3000-4000 to get a dSLR underwater.

Hi,

Yes! I'm looking for Nikon D70s body in Hong Kong selling around HK$5400. lens optional I consider Macro and wide angle lens, under water housing consider Sea and Sea D70.
Please give some advice

Thank

Cheer
Jason :wink:
ssra30:
What's your budget? D70 body is going to be just a small part of overall cost of your setup. You are going to be looking at $3000-4000 to get a dSLR underwater.

I happen to own and use both the D70 and 7070. Both are great cameras in their price class, but really very different classes. You can probably buy a 7070 with housing for $700-800, while a Nikon D70s with lenses, housing, ports, and strobes will cost around $3000-4000. The 7070 in an Olympus housing is compact, inexpensive, but much slower in operation than a D70 system. For a beginner, the D70 is bulky, and very complex to learn to use and maintain, and probably not a good choice.

The 7070 is a great camera to learn with. It has a great lens, and very good image quality, similar to the D70 in terms of resolution. The lens is especially good at close up images, since it will focus to just a few cm for small close subjects, like nudibranchs, and will shoot wide angle too. The camera is much slower in operation than the Nikon D70, taking 1/2 second or more to focus and set exposure after the shutter is pressed. If your subject is stationary, such as a nudibranch or frogfish, that is not a problem, but for rapidly moving fish, it becomes an issue.

The Nikon is more expensive and more complex to use. It's not really a good camera to start underwater photography with, but possibly one to grow into. You will have to plan each dive carefully, choosing the lens, port and flash setup for the subjects expected, as it does not have the built-in wide range zoom with close focusing capability that the 7070 lens has. For rapidly moving subjects, the D70 is a better choice because it has minimal shutter delay.

My suggestion is to go to a shop and operate both in their housings, to get a better feel for them. Frankly it is probably best to start with a simpler camera and learn with it, then see where your interests lead you. After 50-100 dives, you will have a much better idea what sort of camera fits you best, based on what you like to shoot and the results you have achieved with your first camera.

For someone new to photography in general or someone who does not want to invest a LOT of cash in a UW system, the 7070 is a good choice. For the more advanced photographer who is serious about shooting,a DSLR would be a better choice.

Back
Top Bottom