Australia v Papua Newguinea

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cdiver2

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
We would like to hear from some divers who have dived both: the Great Barrier Reef in Australia and Papua New Guinea. How do they compare? Which one did you like best and why? What time of the year do you think is the best time to dive there? Contact me at: ddiver@tampabay.rr.com

Originally posted by cdiver2
We would like to hear from some divers who have dived both: the Great Barrier Reef in Australia and Papua New Guinea. How do they compare? Which one did you like best and why? What time of the year do you think is the best time to dive there? Contact me at: ddiver@tampabay.rr.com

Both are worth a trip. I did a week on the Paradise sport out of Kavieng in PNG and a total of about 2 weeks on the Spoil Sport and Super Sport on the GBR and Flinder's Reef in the Coral Sea. As overall impressions, IMHO the hard corals were better on the GBR than in PNG, but the big fish action was better in PNG than the GBR.

You wouldn't be disappointed with either location.

I would recommend PNG over the GBR any day of the week...

The hard coral formations in Milne & Kimbe Bays knock the spots of anything on the GBR!

And the big fish action, as Don says, is better in PNG, particularly in the northern areas such as Kavieng and the Hermit & Ninigo Islands and the Eastern Fields out of Moresby.

Best time of travel for PNG is April - June and September - November.

For the GBR, well Jan - march is traditionally cylcone season, but if there are no cyclones arround the conditions can be perefect. Avoid July & August like the plague and you would be fine. October & November would be the 2 best months for assured weather for a trip to the Coral Sea.

Hope that assists.

Regards
Jim

PNG definitely - no contest. Went last year and had a fantastic time - stayed three weeks in Walindi, Rabaul and Laloata. Cannot fault the organisation of the trip either - courtesy of Scuba Jim of course!!

Hi Jim

Don't need a fiver but a free trip to PNG next year would be nice!!!

Have you been on holiday yet? Will look forward to the trip report.

Hi Maggie

I am off on to Tahiti 15 September - 5 weeks and 6 days if I was counting. Back on the Monday before the dive show so if you are going to that then I will be giving a presentation on the place at 2.15 on both days.

Regards
Jim

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom