Trial Dive - TransPac II

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dlarbale

Contributor
Reaction score
All,

Thought I'd write up my experience with a TransPac II over the weekend...

1st Dive - 13m's single steel cylinder, Rec Wings bungied up (well for some of the dive at least).

Had difficulty descending due to the air in the wing being difficult to dump. Adjusted bouyancy on descent using both my drysuit and the transpac. Trim seemed to be fine and practiced a few different kicks shown on Fith D web site (Frog, Flutter etc).

Depth varied between 11 & 13m's so played around with the bouyancy a bit. One thing I noticed was severe difficulty getting air out of the wing! I had to disconnect the inflator (long) and wave it above my head like a mad man whilst trying to get the right position for the air to dump!

At one point I thought I'd never be able to get the air out and I'd end up making an uncontrolled ascent at the end of the dive - really wasn't looking forward to hanging onto the anchor line to prevent this!! Even got paraniod about the bungies and disconnected them in an attempt to get the air out (Ok I was desperate!).

All in all a frustrating experience. I spoke to a guy at my LDS who uses a TransPac on regular occasion and he said that I should have had the bungies pulled up tighter and that instead of using the purge button on the inflator hose I should have just used the pull dump feature on this hose or the bottom dump (he also mentioned that the pull dump sometimes gets tangled in the bungies so some people have fitted glof balls to make it easier to find!!).

Just ove 1 hour dive time.

Second Dive - 9m's double steel cylinders banded together using DiveRites twin tank adaptor (independants). RecWings left un-bungied from the previous dive.

Much better diving with doubles. The trim was a bit off with a slight surge almost pushing me head over heels - probably just have to move the cylinders down a notch.

Had none of the problems dumping the air and felt alot more stable.

Just under 1 hour dive time.

General Points - Liked the free feeling around the front (also noticed this with my BackPlate and harness). Have real issues using the TransPac II with the RecWing on single cylinder configuration - suppose I should really use the right wing for the job!!

Not too sure if the chest strap is really necessary as every time I tightened it it still felt loose. Also not too impressed with the position of the quick release clips - they sit right underneath the arm against the waist and I found getting my hand in the right position to undo them a real struggle (the clips are also not as good as on my Mares Vector 1000).

Using the rig with a weight belt was a PITA, the waist strap is too wide with the extra padding and just gets in the way of the belt.

Overall I think I prefered the BackPlate and Harness than the Transpac II because it was a simpler system to set up - didn't have to mess around with the extra padding over the bolts or around the waist strap, also no shoulder strap adjustment is simpler but maybe a bit more difficult to get used to!

Haven't used my BackPlate and Harness to dive singles yet so still haven't made a final decision. I'll try and borrow a smaller wing and try it on both systems.

Any suggestions on an initial setting for singles on the BP & harness, I seem to remember someone saying they mount their cylinder as low as possible - is this generally the norm??

I'll keep you posted - Dave.

PS// What are peoples views on the use of the pull dump valves instead of the inflator dump button? I was under the impression that the shoulder pull dump wasn't fitted to Halcyon wings - is this true?

Originally posted by dlarbale
PS// What are peoples views on the use of the pull dump valves instead of the inflator dump button? I was under the impression that the shoulder pull dump wasn't fitted to Halcyon wings - is this true?

It is my understanding that the halcyon wings don't have a pull dump... which is one of the reasons I'm leaning toward the dive rite wings. I _love_ the pull dump on my BC, and I hate using the deflator button...

Originally posted by dlarbale
My view? They're a very, very bad idea. You won't find them on a Halcyon wing. See an existing discussion at: http://www.scubaboard.com/t11930/s.html

Roak

I had a Transpac II and I used it for 5 dives. On two of them the thing unclipped when I reached across with my right hand to dump some air when ascending - not a good thing to happen, especially at that point!

I've no idea what made it unclip, but I think it was the way my drysuit sits underneath my arm. Needless to say I junked it and bought a BP Wings combo.

I use the BP wings combo for warm water diving, and it is the neatest and most comfortable setup I have ever used. It's good with a twinset, but with the small (27lb) wing on and an AL80, it's close to unnoticable in the water.

Chris

I dive the TP II with Rec wing and single Steel HP 120. I have mine bungied, but not as tight as it could be. I've never has a problem air at all. I had the DR weight pockets, but changed over to a hard weight belt. The TP II fits just fine over the hard weights. With the DR weight pockets they seem to always be in the way.

As for the dump pull, I've never used it. I know it's back there and figure I could use it if I was inverted or head down looking for bugs, but so far I've never needed it. I can usualy do whatever adjustments I need with the inflator.

I've never tried a BP so I don't have any comparison, but the TP II works great for me.

Ty

I have owned a TransPac II for a few years. I had previously only owned a jacket BC. I have used it with Rec Wings and Travel Wings. There is a velcro tab to hold the inflator hose. I learned that I should use the velcro tab when entering the water to keep the hose from flying around, but to then release the velcro or dumping air was difficult. The velcro keeps a permanent bend in the hose if used during the dive.

Regarding the weights, there are integrated weight pockets available, but I use a weight belt.

I enjoy TransPac with the Travel Wings when travelling to the Caribbean, but I think it is probably a step backward for serious Tek divers who are used to a backplate.

I think whether you like it or not depends on your usage and perspective. As a recreational diver who is also a bit of a gadget freak, I like it. For someone who is a serious Tek diver, I think a backplate would be more appropriate.

I vote in favor of the Transpac II. I tried several jacket styles before upgrading to Transpac and I like it much better than any of them. I am using the dual rec wings with mine.

Initially I did have some problems with the fit of it, but after playing around with all the adjustments I got it to where I like it now. It seems almost transparent to me while diving and doesnt hinder my movement at all. One main point that I found, at least for myself, is that a crotch strap is invaluable in keeping back inflation in place and this aids a great deal in keeping trim and center of gravity where you want it so that bouyancy is controlled.

I also find that if you are in the proper attitude, slightly head down, that a light tug on the lower dump valve is all that is needed to adjust air in it. I didnt like this at first, but now that I am used to it I love it. Also, when in this position, all it takes is bringing my inflater hose up slightly to dump air that way. I seldom pull the inflator to dump air.

I can't compare it to b/p and wings as I have yet to dive that system, but I am looking forward to trying it soon. But in my opinion, the transpac has many advantages over a traditional jacket style, and I wouldnt go back.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom