double weight belt buckle

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tchil01

Reaction score
I was one a dive yesterday and had a brand new metal weight belt buckle pop open on me. The wreck was covered with fishing line and I am not sure if the buckle got snagged on a line, but it popped loose and my weight belt was hanging on my crotch strap. Pretty nerve racking to say the least. I got the belt back on and finished the dive, but between dives I changed the buckle back over to the plastic one that I had on before.

The captain suggested wearing two buckles for wreck dives. I had read this in Gary Gentile's book, but I was wondering if this was standard practice for the other wreck divers on here.

Thanks
Ty

When I used to wear a belt, I would use two buckles. I used two buckles for all my dives, not just overhead dives.

Mike

I don't wear a belt but back when I did, 2 buckles, both metal.

Tom

Personally I'm far more concerned about accidentally dropping my weightbelt than not being able to get undone (although I don't want to exclude this)

A chap I dived with in Egypt had a buckle made from two pieces of bent stainless steel wire that hooked through each-over. It came off when required but there was hardly any chance of it coming undone otherwise. Haven't seen one since and I've no idea who make them. Anyone?

[flame] I prefer plastic weight belt buckles. I find they stay done up better than stainless steel ones. Maybe the legendary Scubapro ones are better. [/flame]

JMTC
Nick

Originally posted by tchil01
The captain suggested wearing two buckles for wreck dives. I had read this in Gary Gentile's book, but I was wondering if this was standard practice for the other wreck divers on here.

Until I get to a point where my weight is distributed enought that there isn't a death sentence on my belt, I'll be diving with double buckles. In pre-dive briefings, I always inform my buddies "If you must kill me, I've got two buckles that open out from each other, and you'll have to undo the pocket velcro around my leg".

My BP is coming soon, which should take 5 lbs off my belt, and then if I can find homes for another 7 lbs or so, I'll feel a little better about having a removable belt.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom