A-Bay Conditions 27JUL02

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ivanna

Reaction score
Just to let you A-Bayers know:

The Hunt's have installed a handrail and ramp to make access to the water easier. However, by the end of the season the ramp will probably get a little slick with growth.

The airfill shop in the basement of the old building costs $5 per fill. And they have the capability to + your tank if it's steel.

Over the weekend:

We arrived early (~9:00) - we were the second car in the parking area. By the time we did our first dive and came back the lot was full. There were two classes going on and a handful of divers. The late arrivals were showing up, staging the gear, and parking up the road a bit.

Water temp bottom was 71 degrees
Viz about 30-40 foot
A very small current effect was noticed
Not much in the way of critters other than the normal perch and small bass. There was a Killer Carp for Hades - but it remained aloof. Several divers were pulling some old bottles from in front of the hospital. The circle of chairs remains intact - I'm looking for an umbrella to add to it.

On the shore:

Lots of sun and new faces. Temp was in the 80's. The bathrooms across from the sub shop remain closed. The pavillion is the only close public restroom.

Keep diving

Are you sure Mo installed the ramp? The town was there and told us about it two weeks ago. They really put the wrong kind of stone down tho. I was afraid they might cut my boots. I was there on Thursday and there were 4 other cars there already at 10 am.

chuckrt

For what it's worth, I was told by the kid in the shop that Hunt had put it there. The town could have done it as well. At least it's an improvement over what was there before - which was nothing. I noticed the kid in the shop was also sweeping/brushing down the ramp to keep it from getting slick.

I agree with the assessment on the rock. Sharp, jagged, pointed. Definately rough on the boots and feet.

This is only the second season I've used that site and have noticed an increase in traffic there. But then again, where else is there in that area (besides Cdn) that you can shore dive?

Cape Vincent is shallow ~30ft.
Grassy Point is nothing off the beach.

Will be poking my head in other areas as soon as I get some NOAA maps of the region.

Where is A-bay? I don't find enough references in your text to locate what you're talking about.

Thanks,

Sorry for the confusion.

Alexandria Bay, NY.

Wait until you see the nicks we give the lakes :)

Dear Ivanna,

Thre is another site we dive in A-Bay at Pine tree resort I don't recommend it with busy boat traffic ( weekends ). I'll tell you more if you want just e-mail me thru here.

chuckrt

Back
Top Bottom