Piranha in Michigan ...... yeeeooowie!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TCDiver1

Ductus Exemplo
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
http://www.record-eagle.com/2002/jul/18toothy.htm

Thought some of you would be interested in this. Can you believe it? Just when you thought fresh water diving was safe!
I can hardly wait when i have to explain this one away to an OW student. :eek: LOL!

Well,

You could try telling new divers that piranhas are actually very shy fish (as long as they are well fed!). Anyways, the poor fish won't survive a winter in Michigan. Heck, how many people get to log a dive with Piranha anyways? Sounds exotic.

David C.

Do i smell an opportunity here? Piranha feeding dives? Sounds promising & hyper-exotic for Michigan!!! :D

Originally posted by cabrerad
Well,

You could try telling new divers that piranhas are actually very shy fishDavid C.

Not only are they shy (I raised them for 5 years), they don't go after large prey, preferring injured fish or incapacitated animals. They reputation as fierce maneaters are unfounded. The other problem with piranhas in Michigan is that they will probably die once winter hits as they are tropical water fish and prefer temperatures ~78 deg F.

I'm not an expert on piranha but have done a bit of research when raising them (from dime size to 6 inches). The above is based on this research and my own observations.

It is not just exotic fish being found in Michigan..........a gator was also caught in a lake near Detroit! We have great native wildlife, so no need to introduce new things!!!! We are now facing snakehead fish and before that it..........

lets not forget the Deer that occasionally escape Belle Isle Zoo and swim across the the Detroit River and walk around downtown Windsor.:eek:

Originally posted by Paul & Leila

Not only are they shy (I raised them for 5 years), they don't go after large prey, preferring injured fish or incapacitated animals. They reputation as fierce maneaters are unfounded. The other problem with piranhas in Michigan is that they will probably die once winter hits as they are tropical water fish and prefer temperatures ~78 deg F.

I'm not an expert on piranha but have done a bit of research when raising them (from dime size to 6 inches). The above is based on this research and my own observations.

By the way, you didn't happen to fly to Michigan, to vacation at glovers lake did you? I see you raised Piranha up to six inches. The one caught was 13 inches...... hint .... hint .... accusations flying! LOL ....j/k

Lakesdiver, i've been looking for a distinctive specialty that Padi would buy & would keep divers diving. This may be the one .... woohoo, don't stick out your fingers.

Rooster, one of the weirdest things i've ever seen was a couple deer weaving their way across US 131, (six lanes of traffic) in downtown Grand Rapids, Mi. Poor buggers made it but unless they changed residency, i'm afraid they were not long for the living. PS: I love your Signature.... lets go Red Wings!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom