Red sea drift dive/current

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

claplant

Registered
Reaction score
I'm wondering what the current are like? I dove in Cozumel and this kind of drift isn't a problem, but is it like this or more like a washing machine (up, down ,...)? How fast is it? fast enough that you can swim against it and don't need to hold on something to be still or fast/strong that you can't do anything but follow it?

What part of the Red Sea would you be going to?

The Brothers' current can be quite extreme.

Not sure yet, a few days in Dahab, probably will try Ras Mohamed, then Hurghada, Marsa Alam or El Qseir for Elphinstone wich woulb be the grand finale.

The Brothers is so interesting, but for the moment out of reach ($$$).

The currents where you are talking about diving aren't too bad in the big scale of things, so don't be fretting about them, but as mentioned above, you do have to be aware of them at sites like Ras Mo and Elphinstone, as they can be quite strong. Predominantly, they run horizontally along the reef, but occasionally you can get up and down currents – you never can tell until you get in.

The current brings nutrients, and this makes it very colourful – you will love it!

Cheers

Mark

As it was already written Ras Mo can have quite strong currents (Sharks Reef/Yolanda is always a drift dive with sometimes a very strong current). Be aware in Jackfish alley - there currents can take you down or - suprisingly from the reef to the blue - mailny ecause of the shape of the reef.
Brother Islands - currents can be very strong - 3 - 5 knots....
Mania

What can make it difficult in a place like Elphinstone, and most other off shore Red Sea reefs, is that you usually need to fight your way out or back on a current swept plateau (or be dropped into the blue and then quickly descend/drift onto the point of the plateau). When the current is at peak strength, these dives are advanced dives, even for a very experienced and fit diver. You can of course always just drift along the walls - even a piece of wood can do that - but if you don't go to the point in a place like Elphinstone Reef or Brother Islands, you'll miss the point.

cheers

christian

And be aware of the whirlpool that is at the end of Woodhouse reef in Tiran. It's very strong and takes you down, very deep....
Mania

Thank you all for the info.

On week-end I went to a map/travel book store and found: Lonely Planet Diving&Snorkeling Red Sea. Most of the major dive sites are in it and among other things they are talking about the current for each of the dive site.

The only thing that I can say is that most of the information on the book match the information given, so I think that I can trust the book.

Thanx.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom