DIR rigging of SPG...picture?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba446

Reaction score
Anyone have a picture on HOW you wrap the O-rings around the LP hose of the SPG DIR style and into the bolt snap?

I had a pic of how this is done on some DIR web site and now I can't locate that...

There is a picture that specifically shows how this is done, w/o tying cord or using a wire tie, but thru a single O-ring.

??

Originally posted by Scuba446
Anyone have a picture on HOW you wrap the O-rings around the LP hose of the SPG DIR style and into the bolt snap?

I don't have mine that way, just tied on with cave line as per G3 :)

Tom

FWIW, me and my buddies had them done with an o-ring around the hose and then ziptied to the boltsnap. That seemed to pass muster with the powers that be at the DIRF. I broke an o-ring trying to do it the other way...

For my SPG I just used cave line...why the need for a breakaway on an SPG?

I thought DIR's 'thing' was something that can easily be cut free in the event of an entanglement.

I know I can cut a wire tie pretty easily vs an O-ring, but that does NOT mean GUE/DIR endorses MY idea.

??

I've actually used the regulator in that picture.......no kidding. The owner was nice enough to let me try it for my first ever long hose dive (pool)......

Just to be clear -- that picture is a hose leading to a second stage, NOT an SPG.

As explained to me by the guy whose gear is in that picture (GUE trained up through Tech 1 and Cave 1), the O-ring connection method is used for the clip on your primary (long hose) second stage hose. In the event of an emergency, if you have the primary clipped off, you can get it off with just a hard pull vs. messing with the bolt snap. The key is to use a bigger O-ring...larger than those you use on your tanks. The one I used was the size of a quarter.

From that same site -- here is the picture of the SPG/clip from the same rig...connected using cave line. You can still cut the cave line in the event of an emergency.

http://www.northeastdir.com/images/pages/spg.htm

Enjoy.

we don't use "weak link" connections on our SPGs. Tie it on with cave line. The only place the weak link is used is something to do with rebreathers (as per G3 on techdiver).

Tom

The only place the weak link is used is something to do with rebreathers

That's pretty good...

I thought DIR's 'thing' was something that can easily be cut free in the event of an entanglement.

Cave line is easy to cut and you don't want your SPG accidentally breaking loose and lodging somewhere behind your wing or something where you can't easily get to it. My primary is basically a ziptie connected to an o-ring, so it is just as easy to break as its weakest link...the o-ring. Or was that a rebreather thread.. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom