Decoweenie ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WreckWriter

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I recently bought a Palm (M 105) for use with GUE's D-Plan program. D-Plan works great, actually much better than their PC version in my opinion but I'd like to have a VPM planner for comparisum.

V-Planner, which I prefer for the PC, doesn't come in a palm version and everything I can find seems to be very much experimental. The only exception is Decoweenie.

Has anyone used this program for serious diving? Just the awful name is enough to not take it seriously, and it costs like hell, but I know it's been around a while. Anyone know anything good or bad?

Tom

the developer phi is using it all the time for seious dives. in a recent trip phi used it and got out of the water clean. others using decoplanner managed to bend themselves by using some questionable gradient factors.

omar

Thanks Omar. That certainly speaks well for it. I downloaded the eval version tonight, will play with it tomorrow (eval only lets you plan bunny dives) and if I like the feel of it will buy it.

Tom

I know quite a few people who use it. Nobody has anything but nice things to say about it, though for a while I think Phi was on the same list as one of the developers of DPlan, which made for some VERY in depth discussions of a techie nature, both decompression and programming!

It has a Yahoogroup dedicated to it as well.

I'm not fortunate enough to have a Palm (still trying to weedle one out of my boss!) but when I do get one I'll have a difficult choice to make as to whether to use DPlan or Decoweenie...

By the way Wreckwriter - what conservatism factor do you use for VPlanner, or do you add your own?

Tibbs

Originally posted by WreckWriter
Has anyone used this program for serious diving? Just the awful name is enough to not take it seriously, and it costs like hell, but I know it's been around a while. Anyone know anything good or bad?

Tom

Tom,
Unless Phi has changed it lately, Decoweenie is a Buhlman program just like DPlan, only with more options and bells and whistles. For a long time it was the only thing available for the Palm. A couple of us have used it extensively for deep gas dives (as with any program, we just use it for a starting point and modify the deco based on personal experience). It will give you schedules that are essentially the same as the ones you get from DPlan.

If you want VPM for the palm, look at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/palmvpm/

I have only done one dive (Lowrance) using my buddy's VPM schedule, but that was because it looked almost exactly like what I end up with after hacking at the Buhlman schedule for the dive.

Either program will get you bent if you don't undestand what you are doing with the settings.

and Phi does have a VPM option in Decoweenie, but he is using Julio's VPM program, which is the link I gave.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom