Scooter Navigation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pillow

Contributor
Reaction score
When I have my scooter running it's magnetic fields effect my compass. I can regain direction by turning off the scooter. We usually have local visibility of 12 feet or less. Does anyone have any recommendations for navigating on a sccoter without constantly stopping for compass readings.

Pillow:
When I have my scooter running it's magnetic fields effect my compass. I can regain direction by turning off the scooter. We usually have local visibility of 12 feet or less. Does anyone have any recommendations for navigating on a sccoter without constantly stopping for compass readings.

Very sucky conditions for running a scooter. You never know what you might run into? Can you run a permanent line (course line) where you dive so you can run at respectable speeds without smashing the nose cone to bits? Compasses on a scooter - A nice concept, however not too practical.

How much does your average scooter cost?

I have spent some time researching this in the past.
The bottom end seems to be around $300 USD,and they go up in price to 7-8 thousand USD. Just depends on depth,speed/thrust,run time,dependability.
The average seems to be around $1800 or so (your buddy will need one as well)
and certain types of diving would require dragging an additional one as spare(back-up)
Hope this helps

Mr.X:
Compasses on a scooter - A nice concept, however not too practical.
Why not? We use them on a regular basis with good success.

Gary D.

Yeah, my instructor has one mounted on his Bombardier Seascooter, so I assume there is a way to make it work.

-McGill

Edit: By the way, you can build your own scooter for under $150.

I just heard the other day from the chief of the dive team at work that they bought a scooter (Dacor, maybe?) that had an optional compass mount. When they tried it out they ended up running in circles...

If I recall correctly, they solved the problem by extending the mount so that the compass was farther from the scooter, out of the magnetic field.

If you like, I can try to get more exact details when I get back to work after the weekend.

Gary D.:
Why not? We use them on a regular basis with good success.

Gary D.

Post pics. fellas. Would love to see which scooters everyone is using and compass mounting configs. I run mine (Gavins) in caves/wrecks and use visual cues mostly.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom